Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I read an old HD factory manual that recommended adding a little kerosene to your 60 weight for winter use.

My buds about sh*t when I started using 20w50 in my bagger instead of 60w racing oil everyone else used, when I sold it it had over 60k on on a virgin motor. It was getting a little noisey but I think it was the rockers arms sliding around as they are prone to doing on Shovelheads, I just couldn't be bothered f*cking around shimming them
I have a guy that I work with that is an old Harley mechanic. He swears that every problem a Shovel ever had was related to not using 60 or 70 wt oil in it. I give him crap all the time because I used 20-50 in everything from Ironhead Sportys to Shovels to my Knuck. Never had a problem with any of them, and rode them all many thousands of miles. I use Mobil 1 15-50 in my 01 bagger and he thinks that stuff is crap too. I have 26,000 miles on it using that oil and the bike still runs like new, so I guess it isn't too bad. It just drives him nuts that I use this stuff and he just swears by straight weight oil. It's really funny that all those old prejudices never die with some guys.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #22
pushrod
Founding Member

LR, you'll probably find the cross-hatching is still looking good in that TC with only 30K on it.

The two things to look for in oil has been hit upon several times above. Avoid Energy-Conserving oils, and use the weight specified for the motor and the expected ambient temps.

The Triumph 955/1050 motors (and probably all the others) come from the factory with a "Break-in" oil that is replaced at the 500 mile "make sure it was assembled correctly" service. Then the Dealer puts in Triumph-branded Mobil 1 at $45 (5 qts).

I ran Mobil 1 Gold Top in my '00 ST, and now in my '03. Of course, Mobil just changed the packaging, so now you'd go with the "Extended Performance" or whatever the heck they call it. 15W-50, at Wally-world.

The only oil-related problem I've ever had was when I put 5W-50 Castrol Syntec in my '88 LowRider. It ran great, but the 5 weight found ways to fall out of the crankcase. I quickly drained it and put in the proper viscosity, and all was coolness. I put the "used" Syntec in my smokin' Snapper mower for it to eat.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I remember a smoke-n-beer session in the garage about straight weight vs. multi, "so, dude....it's like 20 weight that like MAGICALY TURNS into 50 weight?" (mass giggles) "no it's synthetic, when it heats up it gets thicker till it's 50 weight" (cough, cough)"60 weight gets thinner right? this stuff starts out thinner but get's thicker when it's hot" "whatever man I ain't putting that sh*t in my bike"

all this in 40 something degrees, he's out there kicking the hell out of his 96 in. stroker with ice cold 60 weight in it, all I do is hit the electric foot on my stock 74 with 20w50 and it chugs to life after 4 or 5 turns.....

Some people just don't learn.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 10-11-2007 at 11:29 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #24
SuperBill
Founding Member

Hey, an oil thread!

Been a while since we’ve had one of these.

I’ve heard lots of oil opinions over the years on MO, but the common thread seems to be, “Pay no attention to the manufacturer’s recommendations.”

Solid advice from people who should know!

I’ve been using Castrol GTX in a wide variety of motorcycles since 1972. It’s cheap and you can get it everywhere. I follow the motorcycle manufactures viscosity recommendations, change the oil every 2000 miles, and change filters (in the bikes that have them) every 4000 miles. Haven’t had an oil-related failure yet.

Silly me….
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I use the gray cap 15-50 now. Cheap, effective, and I can find it at any Wal-Mart.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
The Triumph 955/1050 motors (and probably all the others) come from the factory with a "Break-in" oil that is replaced at the 500 mile "make sure it was assembled correctly" service. Then the Dealer puts in Triumph-branded Mobil 1 at $45 (5 qts).
FIVE Quarts? (!). Hoary Clap! I didn't put that much in some of the cars I've owned!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote