Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   zx7r ninja leans out with ram air installed (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/6250-zx7r-ninja-leans-out-ram-air-installed.html)

brettzzzzz 08-26-2007 09:48 AM

zx7r ninja leans out with ram air installed

I have a 99 zx7r, It runs fine without my ram air installed. If I install the ram air tubes the zx7r starves for fuel and leans out fast. It will die if I rev too high.

I blew out the jets with 100psi air from my air compressor. I have a slipon yosh pipe. I dont know why its leaning out.

mscuddy 08-26-2007 12:26 PM

Big Jets Needed

Beacuse you didn't PUT A FREEKING JET KIT IN...that consists of BIGGER JETS...to compensate for the increased AIR FLOW...after you put that dang Yoshi pipe on it...

DO that, (put a bigger jet kit in) and the problem should be solved. That, or put the stock pipe back on, see if it runs ok..and if it does, you'll know why.

seruzawa 08-26-2007 03:11 PM

Sometines....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 168231)
Beacuse you didn't PUT A FREEKING JET KIT IN...that consists of BIGGER JETS...to compensate for the increased AIR FLOW...after you put that dang Yoshi pipe on it...

DO that, (put a bigger jet kit in) and the problem should be solved. That, or put the stock pipe back on, see if it runs ok..and if it does, you'll know why.

....ya just gotta take a breath. Hard to believe it but most people have no clue when it comes to exhaust/intake mods.... witness the high rate of loud bikes (cruisers and sportbikes) making like .38 Specials.

Kenneth_Moore 08-27-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 168235)
....ya just gotta take a breath. Hard to believe it but most people have no clue when it comes to exhaust/intake mods.... witness the high rate of loud bikes (cruisers and sportbikes) making like .38 Specials.

Breath in, breath out...

cgifly2 01-09-2008 09:48 PM

No you dont need bigger jets. The problem is the carb bowl vents need to be pressurized with the same pressure as the intake side of the carb. Your bowl vent tube iether fell off or is plugged. Did you take off the air diverter valve? If you did you need to redirect the bowl vent to the aircleaner.

pplassm 01-10-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgifly2 (Post 176686)
No you dont need bigger jets. The problem is the carb bowl vents need to be pressurized with the same pressure as the intake side of the carb. Your bowl vent tube iether fell off or is plugged. Did you take off the air diverter valve? If you did you need to redirect the bowl vent to the aircleaner.

Exactly. John Burns had this exact problem in his recent article in Cycle World.

seruzawa 01-10-2008 08:53 AM

Good catch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 176691)
Exactly. John Burns had this exact problem in his recent article in Cycle World.

But with the mods he probably will need a jet kit anyhow. Bikes run pretty lean stock. He should at least do some runs to check the plug color.

longride 01-10-2008 09:01 AM

None of us here really read Cycle World. We are all pretty much past that rag, so we certainly wouldn't know what old JB said. :lol:

mscuddy 01-10-2008 09:28 AM

?!?! Pressurize the float bowls? Wouldn't that cause the gasoline to shoot back into the gas tank and cause a horrible accident akin to the Hindenburg disaster? Oh the humanity...

Funny, but the ram air IV system on my '68 GTO (pirated from a '69) didn't have a pressurized float bowl..guess the Quadrajunk didn't need one...

seruzawa 01-10-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 176698)
?!?! Pressurize the float bowls? Wouldn't that cause the gasoline to shoot back into the gas tank and cause a horrible accident akin to the Hindenburg disaster? Oh the humanity...

Funny, but the ram air IV system on my '68 GTO (pirated from a '69) didn't have a pressurized float bowl..guess the Quadrajunk didn't need one...

Didn't they still use side valves and surface vapor carburetion in 1968?