Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default strange behavior from my bike, need advice

So I was at the NTSI aggressive 2 driving course the other day preparing for my pretrial hearing, and at lunch when I parked my bike in the lot I did the stupid and forgot to put my kickstand down. Doh! So much for the clutch lever. My wife picked up a new clutch lever and brought it by, so I replaced that there in the parking lot and all was fine. But no.. it wasn't fine. My bike wouldn't start, acted like the battery was dying. So, ok, I jumped it from my truck (no, I didn't start the truck, I jumped it from the cold battery.) Ok, so all was fine. Oops, I forgot to stick the tools under the seat, turn of bike, open seat with key, ready to go.. And the bike won't start again. Damn, ok, maybe something wrong with the battery, but I guess I'll jump it again. Except here comes the weird part:

I start trying to jump it again, and even with the key NOT IN THE BIKE, as soon as I put the jumpers on it the bike starts, and the engine tries to start, even though it was in first gear. Needless to say it knocked it off the kickstand again, which then broke the gear shifter lever, so the damn thing is unrideable even if I got it started. After this it always tries to start as soon as it has power to the battery; it seems like it's constantly draining the battery trying to start it.

My question is, what is wrong with it? Something in the ignition switch broken?
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

First off, what kind of bike is it?

Do you have a bike that requires the clutch be "in" (i.e. disengaged) when you start it? If so, check the switch that's in the clutch lever perch for damage or misadjustment.

When the bike cranks over when you jump it, without the key in the ignition, or depressing the starter button, check the solenoid and also the wires that are connected to it. Something might be crossing/shorting out. Also check the starter button, make sure it's not stuck down in its mount (throttle housing).

See what doing wheelies gets you?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd make sure that all the connectors in the wiring harness are properly seated. 12V bike/auto systems can give some very weird feedback when a lead is improperly grounded, hot or broken. Maybe one of the plugs came loose or a wire got pinched.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'd make sure that all the connectors in the wiring harness are properly seated. 12V bike/auto systems can give some very weird feedback when a lead is improperly grounded, hot or broken. Maybe one of the plugs came loose or a wire got pinched.
It's an sv650s. I'll check the clutch switch, although the fact that it starts when the key isn't in it is pretty strange.

I checked the connectors in the wiring harness, but I didn't see anything. I didn't have a multimeter at the time, nor the time to do comprehensive testing though.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

sounds like a contact in the starter circuit got stuck closed somewhere, I'd concentrate on that first from the switch to the starter itself

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
sounds like a contact in the starter circuit got stuck closed somewhere, I'd concentrate on that first from the switch to the starter itself
The inside of the handlebar switch is often held together with a screw. Or the internal plastic could have broken. I've had to fix a switch with JB Weld before.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Sounds to me like a really crappy day.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
kavenger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I knew there was a good reason why we pay you well. I agree a switch is stuck closed..First rule in trouble shooting electrical wiring follow the circuit... i.e that's why they give circuit diagrams in the shop manual (yes I have one for my Ninja)..
kavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I thought that it was the starter relay, except for the following fact which I neglected to point out, which makes it more confusing:

None of the lights come on the motorcycle when I put the jumpers on the battery; it just runs the starter. I get no oil light, and no neutral light when it's in neutral, no break lights, etc... The electrical system is acting very strange.

I still don't have the bike in my possession yet, I'm getting it with my friend tomorrow on the truck with a ramp.

Yeah, it was a ****ty day. Today I had to drive the truck because the bike was broken down, and then 1 block from my house the truck's clutch went out. Now it's in the shop. Fun.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Did you happen to sleep through last-Friday, so your penalty is to have today be your Friday the 13th?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote