Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
svo68
Founding Member

Default Clunky shifting?

yes, you should get rid of it immediately, give it to me!
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
stlarson
Founding Member

Default Re: Clunky shifting?

That seems rather backwards. My SV clunks into first when cold, but after a few minutes it's mostly fine, except for throwing me out of gear under hard acceleration. Even more strange is the first three being the smooth gears.

I don't have an answer for you, but if the dealer uses the actual words of 'that is normal' it is the moment alarm bells start going off in my head. It's basically the equivalent of 'well that has never happened before', something which gets used frequently in my industry, and which generally means they've got no idea and possibly little interest in figuring it out. I bet if your bike wasn't under warranty they'd be clamoring to tear it apart.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Being thrown out of gear under acceleration is a sign that the dogs on the tranny gear are being worn round. You are probably also bending a shift fork. Better tear it down and look at it before something major blows.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Any BMW problem can be solved. You just have to Bring More Wampum.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
bod
Founding Member

what is wampum might that be related to the BIG A** hammer I have a neighbor with a k75? and he says it can always be fixed with his big hammer. P.S. I refuse to allow him to work on my vfr for fear he could damage a fairing
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
bod
Founding Member

what is wampum might that be related to the BIG A** hammer I have a neighbor with a k75? and he says it can always be fixed with his big hammer. P.S. I refuse to allow him to work on my vfr for fear he could damage a fairing
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Those hammers are easily available in any HD toolkit.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
Tigercub
Founding Member

I've never owned a BMW and am not familiar with them mechanically, but I won't let that stop me from offering advice.

My 2002 Triumph gearbox clunks a little when shifting into lower gears when cold, but clunks more when warm. I think this is normal. I don't think you have a problem.

When the gearbox is worn it won't shift into gear and won't stay in gear, in other words it pops out of gear. If those things aren't happening then the gearbox/clutch is working fine.

What you can do to reduce the clunky shifting.

1) Change the oil. The gearbox works better with fresh oil and better with synthetic oil.

2) Take out all but just the tiniest fraction of slack out of the clutch cable. If you have a hydraulic clutch you're on your own - I don't know anything about these, but if the shifting has gotten worse there may be something wrong with the hydraulic clutch mechanism. Also, adjust the clutch if it has an adjuster - my Triumph doesn't.

3) Don't short shift in lower gears. Rev the engine up a bit before shifting.

4) Shift fast and pre-load the shifter - that is, put a little pressure on the shift lever before shifting and then shift quickly.

5) Don't down shift. You should be able to shift from 6th to neutral as you're slowing to a stop without letting out the clutch.

6) When down-shifting a gear or two as you enter a corner rev the engine up to match the gearbox speed for the gear you're shifting into.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
iamz
Founding Member

7) Buy a Honda.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You are using muenster (or goulda) in the gear box. Switch to havarti.