Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
nolaandy
Founding Member

Default Re: Clunky shifting?

1. Make sure the release mechanism is adjusted properly.

2. Make sure you are using a good oil and that your current oil is not due for a change. Diesel-specific oils and some synthetics can also help.

3. Make sure the foot shift mechanism is clean and properly lubricated.

nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

I am unfamiliar with current generation K bikes but my K100 uses a HUGE single plate dry clutch. If they still use this style clutch check the throw on the clutch lever. If there is not enough throw the first few gears will feel "notchy". If there is enough throw then check the cable going to the transmission. If they use a wet clutch now ask a dealer if your bike model has throwout bearing issues. Being a shaft bike you will always feel a slightly notchy shift on BMW products. It's a by-product of the way that BMW transmissions are made. You are right in questioning the feel. It's shouldn't feel like you have to put major effort into hitting or keeping a gear. But there must be a positive shift to engage the transmission properly.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
everiman
Registered Member

If the shifting is OK when cold, but notchy when hot, (or vice versa), my thoughts are that it points to the clutch. Clutch plates expand when hot, causing sticking or grabbiness, clutch actuators, (eg pushrods) expand when hot causing early actuation or even slippage. To verify the problem may bethe clutch, when your shifting is notchy, does the bike seem to jump forward when you are stopped with the clutch fully puilled in, and you shift from neutral to first? I am guessing that your clutch is hydraulic, does bleeding help? If is cable operated, does adjusting help when shifting becomes notchy? Can you feel the clutch engaging earlier in relation to how far you release the lever when shifting is notchy?

I suppose heat expansion could also affect dogs and forks, but not likely as all are the same material (usually) and would expand at the same rate, where as clutches and clutch operating materials are made from many different types of metals, alloys, non metallic materials and liquids (oil and hydraulic fluids).
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
snowdg
Registered Member

Thanks for the input.After the new england trip I plan to insist that the tech at my dealer test ride the bike and then see if he still thinks that its'' normal''.
snowdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #15
snowdg
Registered Member

Is there anyone out there that owns a 06 k1200gt.I sure would like to hear from somebody that can give me their experience. For the record my friend has the same bike. I feel the same problem with his bike. Thanks to all for your help. I have some Cheese wizz on order. thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #16
snowdg
Registered Member

just had a oil serviced before the Utah trip.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
Tadgh
Registered Member

bmw have recently switched to gorgonzola or at a stretch stilton as the recommended products
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #18
stlarson
Registered Member

The first time it happened was when I banged the bottom of the redline in fourth. I chalked that up as a "feature". Two other times it has happened in the past month however, both in second, and well short of red. It's been on my list of things to have looked at but as the SV is my only mode of transit other than two feet and the MTA bus line, it is hard to give it up for a couple days. At least Marina Suzuki is within walking distance of the office.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
stlarson
Registered Member

Also, as this was a former track bike in the past, and even though there was only 5400 miles on it when acquired, I've been thinking of replacing the clutch plates. Being the sort of person I am doing the work myself would be preferable to a dealer but don't know nearly enough to do it and feel competent that my machine hasn't been turned into a timebomb.

If someone in LA/OC wants to trade some knowledge and time in exchange for food and booze, throw me a message.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
anrajala
Founding Member

The problem is that you bought a crap bike. From the history you presented, and I am happy you opened up this honestly to us, I can see this is an ongoing problem.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote