Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Question Regarding: Throttles (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/20365-question-regarding-throttles.html)

07-01-2012 02:45 PM

Question Regarding: Throttles

I'm new to riding and have bought a Kawaski Vulcan 500 as my starter
bike. What I wanted to know was whether there was such a product as I'm about to describe. I'd like to buy a throttle that increases acceleration at a slower rate. Something a little more "taut" so I can better regulate starting off speed. Is there such a product?

seruzawa 07-01-2012 06:38 PM

No.
(need 10 character minimum.)

The_AirHawk 07-01-2012 07:40 PM

Sure there is: it's called a "clutch lever".

The Spaceman 07-02-2012 07:08 AM

Mr. Bojack,

Interestingly, there are many products that do just the opposite of what you want; that is that there are replacement throttle setups that increase the rate of throttle opening. The way it's done is by changing the size and shape of the spool that winds up the throttle cable as you turn the throttle handle. If the spool (or pulley) at the end of the throttle tube is larger, the cable moves faster at a given throttle tube rotation speed, and thus opens the throttle faster.

It's possible that a different Kawaski model might have a smaller spool that would slow the rate of throttle opening and still fit your bike. Unfortunately you'd have to find a very patient parts guy to help you locate one.

Or, you could modify the spool on a stock throttle tube. Most of them are plastic or nylon, if you're handy with a Dremel tool you could decrease the diameter of the spool and/or deepen the groove that the cable rolls in to. That would slow the speed of the cable retrieval and open the throttle more slowly.

Order a throttle tube and see what you can do. Try part #46019 from here:
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD EN500C (CA) Parts, 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD EN500C (CA) OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com
and do some garage R&D. (Obviously I just guessed at the year of your bike, and the part is available at any number of other Kawi retailers).

Easy Rider 2 07-02-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Bojack (Post 276016)
Something a little more "taut" so I can better regulate starting off speed. Is there such a product?

It is not really the throttle that you are having a probem with but the clutch......and coordinating a little more clutch with a little more throttle.

This is one of the things that almost ALL new riders have a problem with. (and the ones who claim they never did have a problem are liars !!)

Not enough throttle and too much clutch.......and you stall it.
Too much throttle and not enough clutch......and you LAUNCH like a drag racer.

For 99.5% of new riders, it will come with practice.
The other .5% maybe shouldn't be riding in the first place.

If your clutch is cable operated, having the right amount of slack helps a lot.
Getting the idle speed up where it should be will help too.
It should NOT lope at idle like a John Deere tractor. (It is NOT a Harley.)

Making modifications to the bike is ***NOT*** the solution.

The_AirHawk 07-02-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 (Post 276051)
Making modifications to the bike is ***NOT*** the solution.

One thing we can both-agree upon whole-heartedly.

Excellent post, BTW.

The Spaceman 07-02-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 276053)
One thing we can both-agree upon whole-heartedly.

Excellent post, BTW.

It's an excellent post, but it's also not an answer to his question.

The_AirHawk 07-02-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman
It's an excellent post, but it's also not an answer to his question.

I disagree. Clutch-modulation Practice is what this new rider needs. Not the answer they wanted to hear, but the one that will do them the most good.

"You CAN'T always get what you WANT... but if you TRY sometimes... you JUST might find... you get whatcha' NEED....."

-M. Jagger

The Spaceman 07-02-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 276059)
I disagree. Clutch-modulation Practice is what this new rider needs. Not the answer they wanted to hear, but the one that will do them the most good.

"You CAN'T always get what you WANT... but if you TRY sometimes... you JUST might find... you get whatcha' NEED....."

-M. Jagger

You actually confirmed what I said in your disagreement. Y'all gave him an answer based on YOUR opinion of what his problem is, NOT an answer to the question he asked.

Is the throttle cable speed his problem? Probably not, but if he wants to reduce the throttle opening speed, which was his question, my answer is the rightest.

Nyah nyah nyah, mother****er.

The_AirHawk 07-03-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 276060)
You actually confirmed what I said in your disagreement. Y'all gave him an answer based on YOUR opinion of what his problem is, NOT an answer to the question he asked.

Is the throttle cable speed his problem? Probably not, but if he wants to reduce the throttle opening speed, which was his question, my answer is the rightest.

Nyah nyah nyah, mother****er.

Note the OP's first sentence. Now tell me, as you've been riding for several years now - did YOU think (when you first started riding) that some of the "problems" you had with the bike, were caused by the bike? So did I. Same-same with the OP.

Compare that to now - you, with your current experience, would NOT have the same opinions about "this or that needs fixing", you would adapt yourself to the bike better, and just ride the dang thang, and forget all-about after a day or so of riding. Hell, you might even WELCOME a similar "problem" to the OP's on the bike.

The point is - the OP is trying to "fix" something on the bike, when a change in rider-behaviour would go further toward amelioration than any bolt-on part. (You can't Bolt-On Skill!)

Nanni-nannie-BooBoo yerself!