Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
noz03
Registered Member

Default Help! Chain just came off!

Hey, im a complete motorbike newbie so please go easy on me. I just got my first fully manual motorcycle a few weeks ago and am still getting used to it. Its a 200cc honda phantom.

Anyway, I was driving up a very steep hill and for some unknown reason the chain just came off! Im not sure if I did something wrong, but anyway... is this something I can fix myself or do I need to get professional help? I tried youtubes tutorials but couldnt find anything useful
noz03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Howto: Replace Your Motorcycle Chain in 10 Mins - YouTube
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
cnrcpla
Registered Member

maybe try tightening the chain? look up the chain slack specs and adjust it accordingly.
cnrcpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
noz03
Registered Member

Yeah I saw that video but it was how to buy a whole new chain and involved taking the chain apart with special tools.

So theres no way to just slip the chain back on with a screwdriver or something similar to a bicycle?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
lowes25
Registered Member

Default chain

you'r chain slack is prob. lose. Are you'r sprockets in good shape an not bent? make sure there not lose are side to side movement also if you have a bike jack or can get the bike off the ground to spin the tire to see if the alignment is correct. NO you's have to loosen the rear axle nut slide the tire forward to slip it on. you can do this with tools that you should already have. if not start buying some. good luck.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
noz03
Registered Member

Ok thanks a lot! Ill try my best.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
cnrcpla
Registered Member

IF you do actually need to replace your chain, there should be a master link on there somewhere that shouldnt require any "special" tools to take off, which would then allow you to take the old chain off.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
noz03
Registered Member

Actually I just tried putting it on with only my hands, it went on about half of the sprocket and then i just rolled the bike so that it went on all the way, chain back on! Though I do think it is a bit loose by the amount it seems to hang... again, Im a compelte newbie so i donno.

how do you check if a chain is tight enough?

And if it isnt tight enough should I get someone to take a link or 2 out, or just move the backwheel to tighten it? The wheel looks like it can go back about another inch in the hole.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
lowes25
Registered Member

Default chain

it's very easy to check you might be able to find something on youtube showing how to check and adjust. along the swing arm (a place before the back sprocket) you check it. there may even be a sticker telling you the correct slack. you always want any adjustment on your bike to be what the factory calls for. about a 1in of slack may be a good place to start. yes if you have to move the tire back then do so. just be careful the chain isn't to tight, when you feel you have it where you want it spinning the tire and double checking. also sit on the bike and have the slack checked. if you can also get the bike up off the ground and get behind the rear tire and watch the chain as you spin the tire making sure that chain stay's on a straight path, no side to side movement. this tells you if the back end is aligned. but if you plan on having this bike for a long time i suggest you get the manual and you will know for sure and with anymore bumps down the road you will know how to handle them.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
cnrcpla
Registered Member

odds are if your chain was able to be put back on the sprocket by just rolling the wheel it may have been a bit loose to begin with. if you have an owners manual you should check the chain tension specs and adjust accordingly by sliding the rear wheel back after loosening the axle nut. Best of luck to you