Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Steve.sifton
Registered Member

Exclamation 1983 Suzuki gs700 I need help

I have let it sit too long, and now it has a problem. When I start it, it smokes a little randomly misses a bit, but what I can't get past is there is gas?/oil running from the engine into the air box through a hose. I thought maybe the floats were stuck, pulled and cleaned them
(they were nasty) and put it back together, but it still does it. I don't know why.

The hose is on top of the head in the center and itgoes to the top of the air box. I have the two lines from the carbs ran correctly to the tank, and there are two lines that run off to the side of the bike like they just drain out? The look beat up on the ends and don't connect to anything. I am going to dump the oil and replace it, but this really concerns me and I can't figure out why it would do that. Please help me
Steve.sifton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
lowes25
Registered Member

Default clean and clear

yeah bikes don't like to be left in the corner for too long. i hope when you took the carb's off you took the jet's out and cleaned them spraying through all little passages ways. but that big hose in the center for the head i believe is a type of vent/ breather. the two lines coming off the cards are prob the vents tubes and could be plugged. is the gas? oil? coming through the big tube? or coming back up from the intake track?if through the hose on the head then something is creating a vacuum sucking the oil seating on the top cylinder head. ??
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.sifton View Post
I am going to dump the oil and replace it, but this really concerns me and I can't figure out why it would do that. Please help me
You are right to be concerned when your bike is spitting out fluids !!

Could be that the crankcase is too full due to gas leaking in there........or the rings could be stuck, and exhaust blow-by is pressurizing the crankcase more than normal.

A compression test is probably in order.
Soaking the rings with some Marvel Mystery Oil might help a lot.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Steve.sifton
Registered Member

Thanks. The mix is coming out of the big hose, and it smells like fuel with oil in it. I will drop the oil out and replace it. And try some marvel mystery oil. Then try again. I am trying to get it fixed for my friends wife. She has always wanted a bike but when her husband lost his job she couldn't get one and I thought since I'm getting stationed over seas she could benifit from this more than me. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again for the advice as I don't know much about this bike
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
And try some marvel mystery oil.
There is a specific proceedure to "unstick" rings.
If the compression is good, even that would be a waste of time.

You also could have a stuck float in a carb dumping gas into the crankcase, which of course, would take a whole different fix.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Steve.sifton
Registered Member

Alright, did some more work and I'm running into another issue now. By tge way I feel like an idiot since I should have realized that the carb float was stuck. Anyway when I run it choked no problem. But if I give it gas it dies. Every time I cover the air filter intake I can rev it but if I uncover it it dies again after a second or two. That and I can't get it to idle w/out having it choked all the way. What did I screw up now
Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
lowes25
Registered Member

Default super bike

so the motor turns over so that's a good sign. have you try a compression test tho? they are inexpensive, and tell alot. do you still have the fluid's coming out? An have completely cleaned the carb's? if you have the choke on then you'r getting more gas mixer, same as when you cover the intake track. when giving it gas and choked you say it die's that may be cause their is no air coming in just gas so it's flooding with gas. you may have poor compression which you'r loosen that gas in to the case through the rings causing a build up pressure in the crankcase which would be why the oil gas was coming out in the first place. i don't think it's anything you did just what you haven't done yet ha. just make sure that from the gas tank to the carbs EVER passage way is clean and clear. you do have fresh gas right? hows the plug look after it runs? how many carbs you have? and maybe the idle speed screw or screws needs adjustment count how many rotation it take's to be all the way seated, then take out clean and look for spring and o-ring. screw all the way in then back out at 1 1/2 turn's then go from there good times ahead
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Every time I cover the air filter intake I can rev it but if I uncover it it dies again after a second or two
All that is not too unusual......if the engine is still "cold".

Do you have a stock air filter firmly in place when you are testing ?? On some models, just that can make a big difference.

Do you have fresh gas in the tank and ALL of the float bowls?
If so, the next thing to try.....before taking the carbs apart......is a double dose of Berryman's B12 Chemtool in the gas. Then run it long enough to get it warm and let it sit overnight. Drain the bowls again.
If running it a few more times over a couple of days shows improvement, then try riding. If not, it's probably time for a manual carb cleaning.

The choke is NOT an all or nothing device. Even when everything is right, it's likely you will need partial choke until it warms up........at least a couple of minutes.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Steve.sifton
Registered Member

I remember I being a very cold hearted bike. However it just seems like something is wrong. I'll warm it up again tonight, and adjust the screw all the way in, then start backing it out. I know I messed with it earlier and regret that now. If none of that works I'll dump the berrymans in and try that. It's a 4 carb 1985 GS 700. I will hopefully have it running soon.
As for the air filter, it's aftermarket, but I re oiled it after cleaning. However it looks to me like it isn't sealing the way it should. I don't know if it's because the plastic is old and warped. I've been thinking of cutting the bottom of the cage the air filter sits around to try and push it down so it seals better.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
As for the air filter, it's aftermarket, but I re oiled it after cleaning.
You would be better off to look for the parts necessary to put the air filter back to stock, for several reasons.......starting with it will probably run better overall.