Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
panderslap
Registered Member

Default Hard to shift into 3rd gear, 2004 CB600f Hornet

Hey everyone, I've been trying to google this like crazy, but no luck

I just got this bike, it's pretty fun, but now after about 100 miles of me riding it it's becoming hard to shift into 3rd from 2nd gear(didn't happen when I bought it).
I can shift using my toes for 1-6, but for third I have to pull my foot around and pull up with my heel to get it to click into third...
Anyone have any ideas? I couldn't find anything else on the subject, so sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks in advanced!
panderslap is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panderslap View Post
I can shift using my toes for 1-6, but for third I have to pull my foot around and pull up with my heel to get it to click into third...
I assume the 1-6 above is a typo.....????

Either your clutch cable has too much slack in it (there should be just a tiny bit) or your shifter needs to be re-adjusted. Most often when that happens, it is because your toe isn't allowing the shift lever to go BACK far enough after the previous shift.

You could have a bent part inside the transmission but that is pretty rare.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Since the other gears shift fine and apparently the down shift from 3rd to 4th is okay there could be a bent pin in the shifting drum. If adjusting the cables and the shift pedal don't work you may have to pull off the right side case and inspect the shifting mechanism.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
michelsmith
Registered Member

Default Hard to shift into 3rd gear, 2004 CB600f Hornet

Hi,

You shift rather unusually. You're lay on the clutch for too long. A good two seconds at times.

Shift a little more quickly. I'm on the clutch for probably a little more than a half second.
michelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote