Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
gordyb
Registered Member

Default Honda XL 250s Carb/engine Problem

Hi all,

Need some of your wisdom. I am at the moment trying to restore a Honda XL 250s bike. It was found in a rather sorry state in a field and so i thought...ill get it going again.

I have stripped and cleaned the carb taking care of putting it back together. The floats and the carb in general is in good condition and so i reconnected it back onto the engine.

I replaced the spark plug (gapped it before i put it in), and i have compression and a spark, BUT....the bike wont start.

I have comfirmed that there is petrol inside the carb and the bike seams to want to start..but doesnt..any thoughts.

Thanks for your time and help.

Gordy
UK

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyb View Post
Honda XL 250s bike.
Maximum choke and air filter in place.
Kick start or electric ??
If electric, I hope you put in a new battery.
It might take a shot of starting fluid (ether) to get it going the first time.
You didn't mention oil; hope you changed that.
Did you drain/flush the tank and put in fresh gas?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
gordyb
Registered Member

Hi easy rider 2,

Maximum choke applied but i have taken the air filter off as it was busted.
Kick start.
I sprayed carb lube into the air intake, but still no joy, also put a tiny amount of petrol into the spark plug hole...no joy,
Changed the oil.
Fresh gas in the tank also.
I tried to start it up tonight again, gave it full choke and pumped the kick start with no joy, although i did get a backfire from the exhaust lol. It sounds like i have compression as there is a hissing sound when i kick the kickstart. The carb is also full of fuel..scratching my head now. Would an engine take appart be in order?
I have noticed that the Decompression arm and the Actuating leaver are both very slack. There isnt a cable attached to them so i can freely move them forward and back, are they supposed to be this slack? Also if i hold the Decompression arm upright and kick the kickstart down, this arm moves forward to a 45 degree angle, then i can move it back to vertical.
Thanks

Gordy
UK

Last edited by gordyb : 10-05-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: adding text
gordyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyb View Post
Would an engine take appart be in order?
Hell yes, take that puppy all apart.

No......come on man, you don't really even know how the thing works so how do you think taking it apart is going to help anything ????

You either need to find someone locally who knows about that bike or find a shop that does. A shop manual might help a lot. Getting a proper air box and filter back on it might help too.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
gordyb
Registered Member

Yep will take the engine apart.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
lowes25
Registered Member

i hope when you say stripped the carb that you took all the jets out and sprayed and cleaned them. spraying in all the passage way's. or maybe bye now you took it to a shop?
lowes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
michelsmith
Registered Member

Default Honda XL 250s Carb/Engine Problem

Hi,

Perhaps the first thing to test is the following:

1) Pull the spark plug out of the cylinder. Install the plug in the sparkplug Cap/Boot and lay the metal portion of the spark plug against the cylinder head. Turn the key On and give the kickstarter a couple of stern kicks. You should a nice spark at the spark plug tip. If in doubt, turn Off the lights and repeat. Has spark?

2) Since it was laying in the farmers field it begs the question for how long? If the time was years or even less the Carb should be disassembled and all the mechanical parts dipped in a gallon of Berryman's carb dip for at least a day. If you don't have the manual like me, take lots of pictures to ensure you remember how it goes back together. The carb body must be submerged in your carb cleaner. Then all aprts have to sprayed clean with a Carb Cleaner to get any residue cleaned out We are not talking 4 cyl RS36 Smoothbore complexity here

3) No, its not wise to strip down the engine. Bikes which have been sitting for extended periods of time do not have the mechanical internals wear out by sitting, they may corrode though. Most of the time a non starting bike problems are associated with gummed up Carbs or corrdoded electrical connections or faulty electrical components

4) Report back

Hope this information helps you.

Regards,
Michel
michelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote