Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
cornerblock
Registered Member

Default 1994 Honda Magna main fuse

Howdy, Girlfriend's Magna suddenly stopped running. No lights, nothing. I've located the main fuse 30 amp. But can't figure out how to open/extract it. I've pried the tabs apart but it will not budge. Any help?
cornerblock is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerblock View Post
I've pried the tabs apart but it will not budge. Any help?
Yes. Find somebody who knows how the fuse works.

Hint: No matter what type of fuse it is, "prying the tabs apart" is never the proper way to remove it. The thing you are prying on might not even BE the fuse.

It is likely that you now have TWO problems that need fixing.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Best thing is to buy a proper manual for it.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
cornerblock
Registered Member

Have the manual. It just shows a pic of the 'box' holding the fuse. (The plastic 'box' is labeled 'MAIN FUSE'). The 'tabs' are attached to the top of the 'box'. It is like most other two part electrical connectors. The kind that have 'tabs' that reach across the second part of the connector and lock down. Any other help from someone who knows the answer?
cornerblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerblock View Post
The kind that have 'tabs' that reach across the second part of the connector and lock down. Any other help from someone who knows the answer?
If those tabs are plastic and it looks like they were meant to be "bent" out to release something.........then that something is a plastic "lid" or cover over the fuse.

Bend the tabs out and pull the cover off; under that should be a standard blade fuse that also pulls out......or can be tested once you get the cover off.

Few people are really familiar with EVERY type of bike out there.......and waiting for someone with that same one can sometimes take a LONG time.......so the better description is very helpful.

Sorry for the curt answer before but "bending" conjured up bending something metal and that just couldn't be good.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
donaldgreen
Registered Member

I think easy rider 2 you are right some time back I was under the same situation and this was reason behind it. But now its in a better condition and is working up to the mark.
donaldgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Probably just wedge a flat blade screwdriver under the edge and hit it with a hammer. It may take a few licks but it'll come out. Then just pick the rest of the bits out with a pair of needle nose pliers and pop the new fuse in place...Nothing to it!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Probably been in there so long that the fuse ends and the terminals being dissimilar metals have fused together.