Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
hajduk
Registered Member

Default problems with power BMW F650

Hi everybody

I have '97. bmw f650 Funduro and here is my problem. First i'd had some problems with ignition and than it stopped. After that begun problems with rpm-s... When i turn on the bike, everything is working perfectly in the neutral and at the lover revs but when i start driving and rev it over maybe 3500 rpms engine starts to cough and in most cases shuts down. What have i done? I cleaned spark plugs and air filter and it worked perfectly for next maybe 30 kms. Next day I turned it on without problems and when i started to drive it shoot down and after that I couldn't turn it on again!

If somebody have some suggestion or idea i would be more than glad to hear it!

Rock on!
hajduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Sounds like bad gas to me. Especially if it worked for a while after cleaning the plugs.

Here's your REAL problem: "Funduro." No self-respecting motorcyclist would ride a bike named "Funduro." Burn the motorcycle. Use the insurance money to buy a new bike.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
hajduk
Registered Member

I don't think that the fuel is problem, i used shell gasoline!
hajduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
The Spaceman
Registered Member

ER2 will be right with you.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajduk View Post
and after that I couldn't turn it on again!
What exactly do you mean by "couldn't turn it on" ??

No lights, nothing
Lights but starter won't run
Lights and starter but engine won't fire ?????
All those situations are quite different things and different problems.

Is the bike fuel injected ??
What kind of "ignition probem" did you have before.

Not many BMW folks here, I think.
Probably need to seek out a dealer or other qualified BMW mechanic.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 09-13-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
F650_rider
Registered Member

First of all, don't worry about the bike and what spaceman says - that motor is bombproof, and it simply needs a proper fuel mixture, air, and a good spark. And not to get into a flame war with the young spaceman (cadet!!?) who clearly knows nothing about the F650, but that model F650 has been ridden around the world by many people in all manner of terrain and weather, including Antarctica, across Africa - it is doesn't excel in any one motorcycling discipline, it isn't pretty, it isnt real fast, but it is the motorcycling master of versatility. Best bike I've ever owned. I could go on and on.

Sounds like possibly 2 separate issues, one on the charging side (the shut-down), and one of the fuel delivery side (rpms and choking out).

On the charging side, the typical culprits are a dying lead-acid battery, or a voltage rectifier that may be starting to go. Check your battery terminals for a solid connection, especially the negative terminal. Do you have a voltmeter? if so, and you can get the bike running, tell me what the voltage is.

Anyways, How many miles are on the bike, and when was the last time the carb O-Rings were changed? If you recall, what was the condition and color of the spark plug? Could be a number of things, from a clogged fuel filter (you may have 3 if you can believe that), to clogged tank vent lines (vacuum developing in the tank and the float bowls aren't getting fuel). I know the bike well, pretty much done every imaginable maintenance item short of splitting the engine, taken her through thick and thin from snow to desert.

You wont need to take it to a shop bro, we'll figure it out. You can do all your own maintenance on that baby over time for cheap, and you'll get an excellent education in how she feels and responds when all the maintenance is up to snuff. Oh - and with the $$$ you'll save, you can get an Ohlins on the back end of that thing, and that girl will excel in twisties, off road, urban, 500 mile days, - you name it.

The BMW F650

Last edited by F650_rider : 10-04-2011 at 05:14 PM.
F650_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F650_rider View Post
You wont need to take it to a shop bro, we'll figure it out.
He will have to sign on here to look for replies though.........and respond to his answers. Hasn't been on since 9/14.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I've ridden an F650. I'd heard the terms "anemic engine" and "wooden-feeling brakes" before, but never really understood the TRUE definition of the terms, until that time.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
F650_rider
Registered Member

Hi Air Hawk!!

Thanks for your insightful post regarding a fellow forum member's mechanical problem with his F650. I hope all of you "Founding Members" add such helpful mechanical advice to solve another member's mechanical problems!

Of course, since you've "ridden" ONE that as an informed and experienced founding member you knew was in top mechanical shape, you must be an authority on the bike - it sure sounds like an utter piece of junk that a few hundred thousand folks who ride it worldwide should avoid - you know - those misinformed and ignorant BMW riders are just so much about image and don't know squat about motorcycle engineering and performance (along with the ninnies in Stuttgart that build that damn things).

And since you are such an authority as a "Founding Member", I suggest you get your "ride" review published on an authoritative motorcycle review site. If indeed it has an "anemic engine" and "wooden feeling brakes", this authoritative opinion from a Motorcycle.com "Founding Member" should be known to the public as a counter to its near 20-year production run and stellar reputation. Knowledgeable motorcyclists need to know that the TRUE definition of "anemic engine" and "wooden brakes" is embodied in the BMW F650!!!

Thanks for sharing, it's been my privilege as a new member to meet such a truly knowledgeable "Founding Member" of Motorcycle.com and a mechanical authority on my bike!! Please avail me of your astute opinion on what bike I need to switch to for my dual-sport motorcycling purposes that is authoritatively better than the F650, since I'm sure you are a subject matter expert!

As a "Forum Administrator" who apparently is here to moderate topics, please do tell me how your comments thoughtfully added to the discussion as a representative of Motorcycle.com.

The BMW F650

Last edited by F650_rider : 10-05-2011 at 11:01 PM.
F650_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
Franklin76
Registered Member

I just love this piece. BMW F650 is a work horse and the house of power in one neat package. With lots of torque, power at all engine speeds, which takes you from town to country on the road with relative ease. BMW F650 good performance, it is easy to assemble, and is tried and tested, allowing Welly effortlessly.
Franklin76 is offline   Reply With Quote