Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
hendersonriley
Registered Member

Default Starting problems on 98 suzuki intruder 1500

Hi i have a 98 Suzuki Intruder 1500 and i am having problems with starting. The starting motor was chceck and found to be good the starter relay was check and is good. when the starter motor is bridge directly from the battery the engine comes to live in sec. there seems to be a problem with the igniter,can i buy a after market igniter to wrk in place of the factory igniter? i was looking online and i see the dyno D3K3-3 thta is an option but living in Barbados (caribbean) i need to know b4 i buy it if any one online has replace one b4.
hendersonriley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersonriley View Post
when the starter motor is bridge directly from the battery the engine comes to live in sec.

there seems to be a problem with the igniter,
Stop, please.

Either there is some information missing from this story OR you are about to make an expensive mistake.

The two statements above do NOT match.

If it fires right up just by running a jumper cable from + battery to the starter.......then ALL of the rest of the ignition electronics very likely are working perfectly........and what you have is a bad start button switch or a bad solenoid, where the contacts are burnt and won't pass the full voltage to the starter.

What exactly happens when it won't start ??
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
hendersonriley
Registered Member

there was also a wire that was run to by the electrician in which i was able to start the bike from the start button but then the bike wont fire up. So he had to rewire the bike to its factory setting and it did the same. Wont start from the start button but if you bridge the starting motor from tne battery the bike fire up and rides normal
Old 09-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
hendersonriley
Registered Member

And to make it clear when the wire was hook up by the electrician the start button was swinging the starter which swing the engine but the engine wont fire up. And when it was rewired to the factory settings the start button wont wrk. but if you bridge the starter with the battery the engine fires up and the bike runs normal
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

I vote solenoid.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
And to make it clear when the wire was hook up by the electrician the start button was swinging the starter which swing the engine but the engine wont fire up. And when it was rewired to the factory settings the start button wont wrk. but if you bridge the starter with the battery the engine fires up and the bike runs normal
You have a piss poor "electrician". You need to find another one.

It sounds to me like you have:
1) A weak battery
2) A bad solenoid (maybe)
AND a fault in the safety mechanisms or a bad start button.

In my opinion, you need to take it to a real bike shop and get it fixed right.

P.S. Where do you live ?? Don't usually hear the term "swing" in this context.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
hendersonriley
Registered Member

Easy rider that term comes from the caribbean and i am from barbados and that term is use in the motor world when it comes to firing up engines.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
that term is use in the motor world when it comes to firing up engines.
Not around here it isn't.

The modification that you removed likely was a simple switch that put +12 V on the winding of the solenoid. That's the way they all worked in the days before all the safeties were added.

Since even THAT stopped working, we have to assume that the solenoid itself is bad (which should show up as the engine turning over more slowly than normal). Some voltage readings should have proved that.

Since a jump directly from the battery still works, the battery itself should be good.

It might have been a mistake to remove that "modification" because even if you get a good solenoid.......or find and fix some corroded connections.......you still have the old original problem left of the start button not working......because of a bad button or a failure in the safety chain logic or relay.

Good luck getting your problem fixed.
You might have trouble finding a good mechanic/electrician where you live.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
The Spaceman
Registered Member

We need every swinging starter we can get in the field today. You know that. Now get back to your post.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
hendersonriley
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Ita a pleasure to have bike buddies to help one another in times of need