Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I measured the drained oil contents 3.5 quarts exactly, capacity chart claims it takes 3.91, WTF?
That tends to support my later theory that the leakage really was not caused by an overage in the first place.

Is Seafoam really recommended for the oil of a wet-clutch motorcycle ??
That part would make me a little nervous.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post

Is Seafoam really recommended for the oil of a wet-clutch motorcycle ??
That part would make me a little nervous.
That I don't know & didn't think about. Their label says safe as a fuel or oil additive (among other things)& gave the "dosage" by gallon of gas and by quart of oil but did not address the wet/dry clutch applications. Either way it was 1.5 oz per quart of oil, would it make that much of an impact that diluted? Also isn't it's more of a cleaner then a lubricant? I did run it at idle in the garage for a bit to fill the filter & curculate it a bit, look for leaks, etc. & also wanted the "treated" gas to make it's way to the carbs, but have not engaged gears or ridden it.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Either way it was 1.5 oz per quart of oil, would it make that much of an impact that diluted?
Probably not. It seems that I remember Seafoam being OK with the wet clutches.......but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Anyhow, I have a double bias:
I don't like additives in general except for a dose of a good carb cleaner on a regular basis
AND
I especially don't like Seafoam because it claims too much and is over priced. Did you know that it was originally formulated as a fuel stabilizer for marine engines? Did you also know that you can get a REALLY good carb cleaner for about 1/3 the price ?? (Berrymans B12 Chemtool). They have also raised the price AGAIN; that's $2 over about the last 6 months.

I'm pretty sure that it won't hurt anything in the oil and it is a "light duty" cleaner in the fuel system but I personally wouldn't leave it in the oil more than 1,000 miles or so.

Incidentally, what did you hope to accomplish by adding it to the oil in the first place ??
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Incidentally, what did you hope to accomplish by adding it to the oil in the first place ??
I've read & heard about some oil leaks being related to cloged return holes, if it is supposed to clean & fix everything I figured why not. It does claim so much that it can't posably achieve all to any reasonable degree of measure.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that it won't hurt anything in the oil and it is a "light duty" cleaner in the fuel system but I personally wouldn't leave it in the oil more than 1,000 miles or so.

Why would you not recommend leaving the Seafoam in for the life of the oil?

Last edited by A Star Ride : 09-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Why would you not recommend leaving the Seafoam in for the life of the oil?
Did you notice the thickness of the Seafoam ??

Even though you didn't put in THAT much, it is bound to thin the oil out some. It is not much different than putting the same amount of kerosene in there.

But then I am biased. I don't trust the stuff for anything execpt what it was originally designed for: marine stabilizer.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'd bought it primarily as a carb cleaner given the chance the leak possably may have been carb/fuel related, and since I was in the middle of an oil change & saw they recommend it for the crankcase too, I figured why not. I hate to change the oil in another 1000 miles, especially since I only had about 2000 on the last change, only drained it to inspect for & verify if it was contaminated, I considered pouring it back in.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
and since I was in the middle of an oil change & saw they recommend it for the crankcase too, I figured why not.
Whatever. It's YOUR bike. Honestly, with the temperatures of the oil, most of it will probably be gone in the first couple of hunderd miles anyway.

If I believed all the "recommendations" that I saw in the ads on TV, I'd still be in perfect shape like a 20 year old athlete, have a perpetual boner and be able to attract beautiful women just by opening a bottle of the right kind of liquor.