Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
smurfyjones
Registered Member

Default Suzuki Savage CDI problem?

I have an 88 suzuki savage. It's my first bike so i am new to these machines but have a very basic mechanical knowledge. My bike at times runs great, i took it for a ride yesterday without a problem. Stopped at a store, came out and started it. It had no power, would not idle, and when fully opening the throttle would barely rev up. After stalling it a couple times and starting it the bike suddenly came alive again. Does this sound like a loose connection? Bad CDI? I have already cleaned the carb, checked the air box, changed the plug, changed the oil. Please Help!
smurfyjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyjones View Post
Does this sound like a loose connection?
Maybe but not what you might think.

Check the battery connections to be sure they are clean and tight.
Some of the Zuki's tend to work the battery post bolts loose.
A star washer fixes that.

Could be a fuel problem too; check the filter if you have one and drain the float bowls. Carb cleaner in the gas might finish what you started.

If none of that pans out, I can point you to a forum that deals more with the Suzuki cruisers.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

CDI's very seldom go bad intermittently. Usually they work as they should or not at all. Check for loose connections in the wiring harness. Some might be corroded. Pull them apart and push them back together a few times. Look for green crud. You can polish the contacts with a standard rubber eraser.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Captain Steve
Registered Member

You are having an intermittent problem with your fuel, air, or spark.

For fuel: Check the tank, filter, lines, carburetor. It could be water in the fuel also, where are you filling up?

For spark: Check your wiring, grounds, spark plug gap (make sure they're nice and tight while you're there) and battery. I'm doubtful that it's the timing if the bike is running strong some times.

For air: check your filter.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
smurfyjones
Registered Member

Default Savage intermittent problem

I took the bike to a friend of mine who is a mechanic, he sprayed all of my connections with some cleaner and brushed them. The bike ran strong while there and for the ride home. I took it out again later in the evening and after stopping at a store again i had difficulty getting it to run after. It seems to bog down and have no power, then will suddenly come to life again. Yesterday it was misting out a little bit, i took it out and barely made it a block, it bucked and lost power. Today, it was dry and the bike rode strong around town. I don't think the bike has a fuel filter but i believe there is a screen in the pet****, i'll try that. i'll also try to check my grounds and battery terminals. Perhaps maybe a coil? Thanks for your help.
smurfyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyjones View Post
Perhaps maybe a coil? Thanks for your help.

As is typical of many riders trying to analyze a problelm.............
Don't make this harder than it IS.

The symptoms you describe all point to a high voltage (spark) leak somewhere. Plug wires and boots would be the first choice; if the plugs are old, them too. When damp, the spark jumps to ground somewhere BEFORE reaching the plug. I have even seen it go down a crack in the white insulator of the plug itself.

ONLY AFTER that would I suspect coils next.

It is possible that something in the ignition module (CDI) is sensitive to moisture......but not likely.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 07-27-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Bandit Man
Registered Member

Have you found the problem?
Bandit Man is offline   Reply With Quote