Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
HondaVTR250
Registered Member

Default Battery Problems

Hi,

After a few hours riding with a mate on Sunday he noticed my headlamp had gone off. We pulled over and I heard a hissing sound from under the seat. We removed the seat and saw white fumes steaming from the battery. The battery was also hot. Cooked.

I have read some forums and there seems to be two possible problems:

1) The alternator is broken and is forcing too much charge into the battery; or
2) The batter is wrecked and should be replaced.

Any ideas on which would be the most likely? I am hesitant to replace the battery only to cook it straight away.

And at the same time I do not want to take it the shop for un-necessary work. My bike is a Honda 1998 VTR250. 20,000 on the clock.

Responses much appreciated,

Cheers,

Scott.
HondaVTR250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaVTR250 View Post
Any ideas on which would be the most likely? I am hesitant to replace the battery only to cook it straight away.
It's a toss up.

A bad alternator (regulator, actually) will not cook a new battery in a matter of a few seconds so.......you go to a battery or bike shop with the bike in tow, put in a new battery and test the charging voltage immediately after starting it.

I suggest that you do a parts search to see if you can actually get a replacement regulator/rectifier for that model before doing the battery thing.

AND.....VERY IMPORTANT.... that stuff leaking out of the battery is ACID. It will EAT anything it comes on contact with, including metal parts on the bike and your skin. It should be carefully washed off with a solution of warm water and baking soda. Do not get that solution inside the battery.

And a repeat caution NOT to ride it until it's fixed because if the battery takes another shot from a bad alternator/regulator it can EXPLODE.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What he said.

Wash EVERYTHING with the baking-soda solution, then wash it again. I guarantee you did not wash it all off (or neutralize it) the first go-round.

It's insidious - one day you will pull the seat off or look at the top of the engine - and everything aluminium will be caked in a white crust and all the paint will be peeled off the steel and that will be 3mm deep in rust.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
HondaVTR250
Registered Member

Cheers for the advice.

Turns out it was the regulator/rectifier. I took it to the shop and was charged a nice sum of 200.00 for parts and labour.

Bike works like a treat and seems to have pick up in the throttle.
HondaVTR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaVTR250 View Post
Cheers for the advice.

Turns out it was the regulator/rectifier. I took it to the shop and was charged a nice sum of 200.00 for parts and labour.

Bike works like a treat and seems to have pick up in the throttle.
Yep. Bad regulator. A very common Honda problem.