Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Default Cost to Paint a Bike

Who has had their motorcycle painted, or repainted? How much did it cost?

I've been thinking about spiffing up the Vee with a new single-color paint job. I took it to a well known shop in Fort Lauderdale for an estimate today, and the quote blew me away. Over $2k, and that's with the parts (fairing, tank, etc.) removed and brought in ready for primer.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Cant wait to see the purple, green and orange flame job on that Strom...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If it was invisible paint, I'd chip in.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It varies so much it's hard to say. Your basic edgy flat black rattle can "Noir" look can be had for a few bucks, add a few Social Distortion style stick figure skeletons and go pick up hot goth/emo chics..

A more traditional paint job can be from a couple of hundred up to ridicules as you've found out..Depends on the painter and how much you want done...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I'm looking for single-color with clearcoat. Based on the Colorrite prices, materials should be well under $300. Even if it were $500, that would still leave a huge amount for labor.

These guys have a lot of custom HDs and "choppas" in their shop. Maybe they're used to dealing with cash-swamped Republicans who have more money than sense.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I'm looking for single-color with clearcoat. Based on the Colorrite prices, materials should be well under $300. Even if it were $500, that would still leave a huge amount for labor.

These guys have a lot of custom HDs and "choppas" in their shop. Maybe they're used to dealing with cash-swamped Republicans who have more money than sense.
Or, maybe they're used to all the labor it takes to get a bike apart, and are really good and take their time.

I asked about it with a local (well-trusted) shop once - they'll do a Motorcycle, but it's damn-hard to do, so they don't like to. It's all the short-radius curves and complex angles.

Makes a Quality Job a chore.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

A professional motorcycle painter acquaintance of mine will do a full fairing bike a single color for $1000. However, I've seen painters advertise doing that same job for $600-$800. To me, $1000 seems pricey.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Forget paint. Just spoon on some sticky buns and enjoy the beefy forks and silky smooth transmission.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

For $2000 you could buy a compressor and a gun and paint and do it yourself and still have over $1000 left over. Do it in your garage. Get the floor very wet to keep the dust out. If you have dust in Fla.

Or, a few rattle can coats of lacquer and a couple of coats of clear on top will pass muster from 10 feet away. No one will notice the difference when you are out riding.

Don't forget to put skull top bolts everywhere.

P.S. Republicans don't get "cash swamped" by patronizing custom chopper shops.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
For $2000 you could buy a compressor and a gun and paint and do it yourself and still have over $1000 left over. Do it in your garage. Get the floor very wet to keep the dust out. If you have dust in Fla.

Or, a few rattle can coats of lacquer and a couple of coats of clear on top will pass muster from 10 feet away. No one will notice the difference when you are out riding.

Don't forget to put skull top bolts everywhere.

P.S. Republicans don't get "cash swamped" by patronizing custom chopper shops.
The only dust in FL is on the residents. Just keep the blue hairs out of the garage.