Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
abuckler
Registered Member

Default Spring Assisted Motorcycle Slider Anyone?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been interested in motorcycles for years but it wasn’t until recently that I started looking into purchasing one. My budget is low so I was looking into a totaled bike and fixing it up. I started visiting salvage yards and I noticed that about 50 percent of the bikes had sliders on them but the bikes were still getting damaged. I thought the whole idea of a motorcycle slider was to save your bike. What I believe people over look the fact that by adding a motorcycle slider you are GREATLY increasing the force of the fall onto one point; your slider. So I have designed a spring assisted motorcycle slider. I have researched springs and have found that I am able to mount a 400 pound spring into the slider, which I feel is plenty. I am currently building a drop testing device and have built a prototype slider with a 200 pound spring. Soon I will upload pictures of the prototype and when I’m finished testing I will upload a video of the testing taking place. The prototyped slider diameter is 2 ¾ inches I think I can make the diameter closer to 2 inches. The design is “Patent Pending” but I would love to hear suggestions and comments about the design like the mounting base or the sliding puck holding device. It seems like depending on the bike it needs a spacer or something so the mounting base can be bolted to the frame. Is that correct? Thanks for your time and happy riding.

abuckler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuckler View Post
So I have designed a spring assisted motorcycle slider.
You really want honest comments ?

OK, here's mine:
You don't really think that tiny little spring is going to accomplish anything useful, do you ??

The present "slider" works just fine.......for a very limited sub-set of fairly low speed crashes when the bike (and rider) just slide down the pavement without encountering any other obstacles.

That exact circumstance doesn't happen very often. Do you think MAYBE that all those bikes in the salvage yard had an accident of a type or severity that the sliders weren't any help at all......and that any modification of the slider won't help in a situation where they didn't come into play in the first place ?? I think that is the case.

Your "invention" appears to me to be a solution looking for a problem to match. I doubt that there IS a match.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

ER2's Resident-Gadfly comments aside, if you want to make it more "compact": try increasing the diameter of the upper part of the stanchion a mm or so. Make the step squared-off, throw-away that jury-rigged sheet-metal-kludge and use a spiral-lock (and appropriate groove) to retain the assembly inside the slider (outer).

Think "Captive Piston" or "telescopic fork".

An appropriate counterbore through the stanchion with another hole bored through the "cap" of the slider, a grade 10.9 allenhead capscrew sized to your mounting-hole inside the assembly - and there you go.

(this is all assuming you have ready access to a lathe and milling equipment, and the necessary know-how to operate it without harm to yourself or others - this appears to be the case, but I'm just checking here)

BTW: I think you're going to find a 400lb-in spring with the compressive-length you'll to be forced to use will be woefully inadequate for what you have in mind. But I could be wrong here. Please do not hurt yourself testing it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
ER2's Resident-Gadfly comments aside,
Do you actually disagree with anything I said in this thread ??
If so, let's hear it.

It is obvious to me that the whole project is based on a faulty premis......at least the way he stated it.

I don't see the point in encouraging him to continue down a dead end path......unless the untimate goal is just to agressively market an essentially worthless product.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Sliders do concentrate the force of the bike dropping into one place. On my bike, the sliders go on the ends of the very long carrier bolt that spans the frame and holds the engine up. That particular area can take the full weight of the bike and the energy that is added by the drop. But I have seen sliders that basically bolt onto the frame. They don't look like they can take much energy, and people have broken frames with them.

Would a spring actually help? They can absorb energy; that's what they do for a living. Regardless of how well it works, if it's marketed right, the gizmo will probably sell like condoms on Panama Beach in March.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
, a grade 10.9 allenhead capscrew .
That would be a socket head cap screw, fully hardened, metric being you said 10.9 hard, not grade 8. Sorry had to geek out for a minute.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Would a spring actually help?
Point IS that they certainly would not help in most accidents that are severe enough to put the bike in a scarp yard.

When you hit something solidly.......or the machine flips a few times.....them little cushions attached to the frame aren't gonna do crap......no matter how many springs they have in them.

Maybe somebody should design a tiny little shock absorber to go in there too !! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Do you actually disagree with anything I said in this thread ??
If so, let's hear it.

It is obvious to me that the whole project is based on a faulty premis......at least the way he stated it.

I don't see the point in encouraging him to continue down a dead end path......unless the untimate goal is just to agressively market an essentially worthless product.
I disagree with your attitude.

Knowledge and Experience comes ofttime through seeing opportunity out of failure, and not success. You would deny the O.P. either.

Perhaps the premise is, indeed faulty. But you would snuff an idea like the flame of a candle, then stand in the darkness you created, and curse others for causing you to stumble in the night.

"Dead-End" is a term for those incapable of reversing their path.

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-04-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
That would be a socket head cap screw, fully hardened, metric being you said 10.9 hard, not grade 8. Sorry had to geek out for a minute.
Huh-Huh-huh!

You said "fully hardened"!........
Old 06-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Perhaps the premise is, indeed faulty. But you would snuff an idea like the flame of a candle, then stand in the darkness you created, and curse others for causing you to stumble in the night.
WOW.......that's deep and insightful.

About as much as the juvenile reply you made in your next post.

Quote:
You would deny the O.P. either.
I "deny" him nothing. He asked for opinions and I gave him an honest one.
You getting upset because that doesn't agree with your opinion says volumes about your "attitude".

Just for the record, I enjoy your "attitude".
Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 06-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote