Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Faaatboy
Registered Member

Default new to the forum and in need of help!

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to check my thread. So a couple years back my cousin bought a nonworking motorcycle hoping to fix it up and get it running. He needed a place to keep it and I let him use my garage. Now, he has no interest in working on it since he just bought a car. I on the other hand, have no means of transportation and this bike is in my garage building up dust. I want to get this bike working but I have no clue about motorcycles or where to start. My friends have little knowledge about bikes but they wouldn't know where to start on this bike as well. Hopefully, you guys can help me to get this bike up and running. First things First, I only know that the bike is a Suzuki. My question is can anyone tell me what kind of bike I have or which sub-forum to report to? Also, I know that I'll need new tires and a new ignition. Does anyone know how much that usually costs? I'm attaching a few pictures to this thread. Again, I thank you guys for getting this far into this thread...

I can take more pictures if needed, and I would appreciate any information given. Thank you very much
Faaatboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Wow!

That there's a salvage project!

I'd suggest you save a lot of money, and buy a scooter.

I could spend $2000 in about two minutes, just looking at the photos. And that's not knowing anything about the electrics or the motor/tranny.

Does it have a clear title, or was it a 'totaled' bike?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faaatboy View Post
I can take more pictures if needed, and I would appreciate any information given. Thank you very much
Welcome to the forum.
Sad to say that you probably aren't going to get the specific answers that you are hoping for.

First things first:
If you find the VIN and take that to a Suzuki dealer, they should be able to tell you the year and model number. Taking that same VIN to the DMV should yield the bikes "legal" status......that is, who the last title holder was.

Then......given the circumstances.....and the apparent condition, I agree with pushrod that for YOU to try and get this running is probably NOT a good idea. Like for instance, what do you mean by "it needs a new ignition" ?? You just don't get "a new ignition", there are several things involved.

I suggest that once you get the make, model and status figured out......and get a replacement title if possible.......you advertise it for sale and get whatever money you can out of it to put toward another vehicle that actually works and doesn't look like a wrecked piece of junk.

Sorry but that's my considered opinion.......based on about 40 years of wrenching and riding.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Looks like an old Suzuki Katana

trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Yup. Can-O'-Tuna. Probably a 600, but not really 100% sure as to displacement, and totally clueless as to exact year.

I Second the "buy a scooter with the recycle-proceeds" of this bike. If you've got an ebay account, or the patience to run a craigslist ad, and are even miserably-unhandy with a wrench, you might part the bike out, get a bit more than just recycling it down at "Can Man".

Unless you have a title in-hand, this is one of thos Lost Causes.

Teh Editz:
Oh! - And don't think I'm not sympathetic to Lost Causes - I've had my share of projects JUST LIKE THIS. Unless you are very mechanically-inclined, and are good at taking old, worthless junk and making it into new, worthless junk - I'd really strongly consider our "scrap it and start over" advice, were I you.

Unless you're into S&M.

In that case, talk to Morbo.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Does the gas cap hiss?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Does the gas cap hiss?
Don't even start with that shat, gaddammit!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
jvshouse
Registered Member

that gas tank looks like it might fit my bike. any interest in selling it?
jvshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

This scary. I looked at this post this morning and almost replied with "Sell it and use the money for a down payment on a running bike."

It's unanimous. Submerge the bike in warm salt water, contact you local police, and report it stolen. Claim the loss on your homeowner's insurance. (the preceeding message was entered for comedy purposes only)

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

If you don't own the title you're better off parting it out. You can sell everything except the frame without a title.

Or, you can petition the DMV for a title based local abandoned vehicle laws. Then sell the whole thing. The parts for an older bike like that (if you can find them) will cost more to repair then it's worth.