Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
jvshouse
Registered Member

Default gas leaking

Alright I have a 91 katana 600gsxf. coming from the gas tank there is a line coming from the tank going to the bottom. Which after I got done riding gas is coming out of it rather fast. Also there are two other thicker lines down there that sometimes one had a slow trickle out of before. Now it seems to just becoming from the one that comes from the tank. What do I do?
jvshouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvshouse View Post
What do I do?
Strike a match ???

Call a dealer and have them come GET it and fix it.

Or did you have something else in mind ?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
jvshouse
Registered Member

Yea I wanna fix the issue. Maybe someone can help me instead of just telling me to take it to the dealer. Thanks but no thanks on that. Anyone know what the problem is with the gas leaking out of the tubes. Are the carbs staying open? What can i do...there is a hissing coming out of the tank filler...you know like its breathing. Thanks if someone wants to help me.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The hissing is pressure from the fuel vapourising, likely being vented through a small valve in the fuel-filler cap.

I'm not familiar with the routing of the fuel-lines for this bike right off the top of my head, but it sounds like the float(s) are sticking open due to some piece of crud, worn needle/seat, or a "lazy" float - and fuel is running out of the overflow.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvshouse View Post
Yea I wanna fix the issue. Maybe someone can help me instead of just telling me to take it to the dealer.
Well, what you want to do and what you are capable of doing often are two different things. Given what you have said already, which sounds like you don't know much about how things work, I was trying to give the best advice for the situation......as you might not find anybody who is familiar with your bike who will take your hand and walk you through the whole proceedure.

If you are going to learn to do maintenance on your bike, the first thing you need to do is get a shop manual for it. The dealer is about the only place for that......or maybe Ebay, but sometimes what you get there turns out to be the wrong one.

The second thing you might want to do is take a basic engine mechanics course at a local Jr. college.

Good luck in finding someone to help.

Don't ride it with gas leaking like that.......even just a little.
It is probably leaking down into your crankcase too and contaminating the oil.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

jvshouse, I'm unclear on the problem. The gas is leaking from the tank to where? The bottom of what?

The tank should/might have two or three hoses. One is the fuel supply to the carbs. One would be the drain from the fill neck (for water or overflow) and one would be the 'tipover' line. You may or may not have all these. The overflow and tipover lines would exit underneath the bike.

I'm wondering about the hissing gas cap. When does it do that? It might after it sits in the sun for a while, but otherwise... Being a carb'd bike, you don't have fuel return issues.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Take a look at these schematics.

If the fuel is coming out of #18 in this picture, stop over-filling the bike before you park it:

1991 Suzuki GSX600FM KATANA Parts, 1991 Suzuki GSX600FM KATANA OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

(another possibly problem might be the drain-pipe that runs through the fuel-cavity has developed a leak - replacing the tank is your only recourse, if that is the case)

If it's coming out of #6 in this schematic (note there are two of them), then you've got a carb problem:

1991 Suzuki GSX600FM KATANA Parts, 1991 Suzuki GSX600FM KATANA OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

The tank vent is blocked (it's usually in the cap) and the gas is pressurizing the tank and forcing it out the overflow.

There are usually at least two hoses in that vicinity:
The overflow from the tank itself. That's where most of the gas is coming from.
A drain from the fuel-fill area that keeps gas from running down the tank when you overfill it. That's where the dribble is coming from.

Try riding with the gas cap loose and watch the problem go away. When it does, clean the crap out of the vent in the cap and you're done.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 05-26-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
jvshouse
Registered Member

Well I plugged the line. Its dripping from the hose not from the carbs or the fuel cap overflow line...its coming from the one that is right on the bottom of the tank. So i ran the bike for a while after I plugged it...to see if it leaked. No leak but opened the tank and gas flew out from the pressure. So im guessing from the previous reply I need a new tank? Thats the only option. I don't want the tank to build so much pressure it bursts on me. No i don't know alot about the mechanics but I do have a book and just try. Its a 91 not a show piece. My first bike. Is that my only option to get a new tank. Thanks guys.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Well, you just proved my theory. Your tank isn't venting. You're lucky you didn't blow it up!

Again, the vents are usually in the cap, I'm not certain on your bike. Check this forum for details:
Hissing sound from the gas tank when putting the Kat on the centerstand? - KatRiders.com

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote