Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
pickledherring
Registered Member

Default what did i do?

i disconnected the clutch cable from the cover plate and pulled the drive sprocket cover off of my bike. A '94 vf 750 honda magna. After changing my front sprocket i put the cover on and reconneced the clutch cable. but now the clutch will not engage. I tried removing the cover again and attempted to manualy engage the clutch by poking around with the shaft that the clutch cable moves.. (i am now guessing the lifter rod?) Did i screw the pooch? thank you in advance..
pickledherring is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledherring View Post
but now the clutch will not engage.
No offense meant but you'd be surprised at how many people have "engage" and "disengage" mixed up.

If you really mean that the clutch won't close (engage), such that the bike won't move and you can change gears without pulling the lever.......then the most likely explanation is that the cable end isn't "in the slot" like it should be and the cable is too tight.

In order to remove it in the first place, you had to do something to get some extra slack in the cable, right ?? If you mean that the clutch won't OPEN (disengage), then you still have too much slack in the cable.

To go any farther, we need to clarify the situation.
What, if any, part of the clutch mechanism came off with the cover ??