Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
gemini62
Registered Member

Default honda cbr 250 wont start please help

Hi all....lm new to the forum so hello to all firstly.
My son[yes lm a women lol]got his first road bike last night.
We traveled 6 hrs to get the bike on the beleif it was a goer.
Anyway to cut this story short when we got there it wouldnt start.

The guy we got it from seemed very honest and stated it was going
untill he put petrol,metho and some type of stuff to clean the fuel lines.
Now lm not a machanic but feel he has caused the bike to not want to go[spark]because its gunked up????

My son is going to take the fuel tank off and empty the fuel
Replace with good fuel and clean the lines and sparkplugs.
ls this correct or has anyone got any other ideas what it could be please??
gemini62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini62 View Post
We traveled 6 hrs to get the bike on the beleif it was a goer.
Anyway to cut this story short when we got there it wouldnt start.

My son is going to take the fuel tank off and empty the fuel
Replace with good fuel and clean the lines and sparkplugs.
ls this correct or has anyone got any other ideas what it could be please??
Welcome to the forum.

I've done similar things in the past but from that I've learned:

1) It is almost NEVER worth it to get a used bike that far away.....NEVER......for the "average" rider
AND
2) You should never EVER by a bike (or car or anything else for that matter) that isn't running unless you are experienced mechanically and can afford to lose the entire purchase price.

While it may not be true in your case, con artists are VERY nice folks. That's part of the act.

Cleaning out the tank and lines is a good first start, along with CHANGING the plugs (they are cheap, no need to reuse)......but a fuel problem will NOT have any impact on the spark.

If you check the basics of fuel and spark (it will need some choke to start) and it still doesn't go, your best move probably would be to have a shop or other qualified mechanic have a look at it. You have already wasted a good bit of time and money on it. Having a trained mechanic look it over might be cheaper in the long run.

What year and model is it ??
Kick start or electric ??

What are the symptoms:
Won't turn over at all
Turns over but won't fire
etc.

Lots of good folks here who will try to help........but we can't do that without some more details.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
gemini62
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I've done similar things in the past but from that I've learned:

1) It is almost NEVER worth it to get a used bike that far away.....NEVER......for the "average" rider
AND
2) You should never EVER by a bike (or car or anything else for that matter) that isn't running unless you are experienced mechanically and can afford to lose the entire purchase price.

While it may not be true in your case, con artists are VERY nice folks. That's part of the act.

Cleaning out the tank and lines is a good first start, along with CHANGING the plugs (they are cheap, no need to reuse)......but a fuel problem will NOT have any impact on the spark.

If you check the basics of fuel and spark (it will need some choke to start) and it still doesn't go, your best move probably would be to have a shop or other qualified mechanic have a look at it. You have already wasted a good bit of time and money on it. Having a trained mechanic look it over might be cheaper in the long run.

What year and model is it ??
Kick start or electric ??

What are the symptoms:
Won't turn over at all
Turns over but won't fire
etc.

Lots of good folks here who will try to help........but we can't do that without some more details.
Thanks for your responce.
l had a freind look at the bike yesterday and he got it going.
The problem was the guy we brought it off sent the bike in for a RWC and service and tune and 2 new tyers.
Apon insecption they found the fuel tank had some dirt/rust so the guy we got the bike from asked them to clean the lines and have it running.

My freind that l took the bike to yesterday found when they put the petrol tap back together it was put back wrong and also had something stuck in the breather hole.So he fixed that and refuled and its a great bike.The sons happy and so am l..

Thanks so much for the help
And sorry for not giving enough info l will next time.
gemini62 is offline   Reply With Quote