Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
Don & Patty Keough
Registered Member

Exclamation Lower My Wife's Bike

My wife has just learned to ride so I picked her up a Honda 1982 CM250 but it is still a bit too high for her. I already ordered new lower profile tires, but I must lower the bike another inch. I did notice that I need to change out the shocks, so I was thinking I could use a shorter shock like the 11.5" shock from a sportster but do not know if that would work. From everything I can find on the net, I know that I can lower the front easily enough by loosening the three clamp and sliding the fork higher, but I do not know if I should go with shorter shocks in back or buy original length and use lowering links (must be custom made). Any suggestions
Don & Patty Keough is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don & Patty Keough View Post
I already ordered new lower profile tires, but I must lower the bike another inch.
I hope those tires don't turn out to be a mistake.

IIRC, the handling on that bike wasn't anything to brag about in the first place and different profile tires might make it "strange". Changing the fork length tends to change the handling too. Overall your plan worries me a bit.

As for the shocks, yes, if they come with springs of the right length as part of the package, and they are an exact fit otherwise, that should work fine.

Those old standards often had a LOT of cushioning material in the seat and you can gain more than an inch there by taking out some or replacing the old dead foam with something thinner. If it isn't used for long road trips the rider often can't tell the difference comfort wise.

Assuming that you are an experienced rider, I strongly suggest that YOU thoroughly test each mod before you let your wife on it. If you don't like the results, she probably won't either.........and it might be dangerous for her.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

What ER2 said...

Messing with tires other than OEM fitment and changing the front geometry can be risky.

The seat thickness and also its width, especially at the front, can make a big difference.

If you re-foam the seat with a thinner layer of a closed-cell foam, and sculpt the sides at the front to allow her legs a straighter shot at the ground, you'll be well ahead.

Also agree that you should 'test drive' the bike after any mods.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Don & Patty Keough
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice: I will look into the seat cushions and see what I can do about that: I can not see her riding it more that 50 miles at a clip! As for test driving, I would never allow her to attempt the ride until I know it is safe.
Don & Patty Keough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Don, a half-inch of closed-cell foam can be easier on the posterior than two inches of the crappy OEM open-cell stuff.

One tip, if you do re-sculpt the seat, consider a 'channel' down the midline (see bicycle seats) to keep pressure off the 'tender bits.'

Also, don't get crazy with the rear rise, as that can put pressure on the tailbone, which is very irritating.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote