Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Default Supersprox

With Bike Week kicking off in a few days (the real Bike Week, not the fake “1st week of 2”), I’ve been busy getting the VStrom 1000 ready for the road. This year is going to be a lot different, because I’m doing my first Iron Butt ride. They call it “The Gator 1000,” and it’s basically a loop covering most of Florida, except the Panhandle. With the mileage to and from the IB event, and kicking around Daytona, I’ll put 2,500+ miles on the bike.

The bike’s chain was getting hard to adjust, and the drive train had that sloppy feeling, so I decided to put a new chain, sprockets, and damper biscuits on before leaving next week. The last set I installed was one of the “520 conversion kits,” but this time for the chain I went back to the OEM-size of 525. It’s an EK X-Ring Gold.

When I installed the last chain, I got an aftermarket front sprocket, and I was really surprised at how different it was from the OEM part. . If you look at the aftermarket and OEM front sprockets together, you’ll see the OEM part is much wider and the shape is more complex. The aftermarket unit is just a flat chunk of milled aluminum; it doesn’t have the damping component of the stock sprocket. And it looked like a “1-size fits all,” where the OEM part clearly was not. So I ordered the Suzuki part.

There are five little rubber biscuits in the rear wheel hub / sprocket interface. They can really make a difference in how the bike feels on clutch release, and accelerating in general. By the time the chain wears out, the sprocket carrier will fall right out of the hub, whereas with new biscuits, you have to tug to get it loose. Having fresh rubber in the damper is well worth the $35 that the parts cost.

Lastly, the sprocket. Paper or plastic? Aluminum or steel? How about aluminum and steel? Supersprox makes a line of rear sprockets that have an aluminum core, or center, with a steel “tooth ring,” which is forged and riveted around the outside edge. If you’ve ever seen a starter ring gear on a flywheel, that’s what it looks like. The idea is to get the light weight of the aluminum and the wear characteristics of steel. I don’t have an accurate scale, but the Supersprox feels like it’s about ½ the weight of the OEM steel sprocket. But that’s not why I bought it. I bought it because it looks cool. Some people like expensive watches; some people like designer clothes, I like CNC cut billet.

You can buy a rear sprocket alone, or an entire kit including front and rear sprockets and a chain directly from Supersprox at: Supersprox.com, or their sprockets are available at a number of online sites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02518.JPG (209.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02519.JPG (199.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02522.JPG (180.8 KB, 0 views)

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

The FZ6 is ready for new chain and sprockets (third or fourth set now, IIRC). I'll have to check them out.

Thanks, Ken!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I ordered these thru the shop about a year or two ago and when they did not arrive I started asking parts, "Dude" what's up? Where are they at, I ordered them over a month ago. The parts guy said well they're ordered. After about a month I called Supersprox myself, long story short the sompany we used never ordered them. Thanks Parts Unlimited.

After speaking to the Rep at Supersprox and letting them know how long I had been waiting and that I worked at the dealer they sent me it at cost threw in a free chain and a Tee. Good service.

They arent as light as the Vortex but they last a lot longer. Ken? a biscuit? Never heard a cushdrive go by that name,...LOL.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 03-03-2011 at 08:30 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Hey you coming by Tampa?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
After speaking to the Rep at Supersprox and letting them know how long I had been waiting and that I worked at the dealer they sent me it at cost threw in a free chain and a Tee. Good service.

They arent as light as the Vortex but they last a lot longer. Ken? a biscuit? Never heard a cushdrive go by that name,...LOL.
I had a great customer service experience with them myself. I accidently ordered the kit for the DL650, although I did put a note on the web order form "For DL1000." Aneta at Supersprox took care of it ASAP and got the new kit to me in 2 days.

Biscuits are the little rubber nubs that go in the cush drive. Man, don't they teach you kids nuttin?

Our IB route is supposed to kept secret...but there is an extremely large suspension bridge on the West Coast of FL along the way. But I'll be hauling ass trying to keep up with the Vespas and Ninja 250s. No time for visiting...

You'll be at the Daytona 200, right? They finally got the time and day right; it's Saturday afternoon, 3/12. I'll be there for sure.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Here's a link to a site where you can actually see the photos:

Supersprox - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

Its.......A FACT!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
The idea is to get the light weight of the aluminum and the wear characteristics of steel.
I'll worry about that 1-2 pound difference in the sprocket only AFTER I shed that extra 30 or so......that's in the donut around my waist.

No, that's a lie. I wouldn't worry about it even then. I like STEEL in my sprockets; one solid piece.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Fine! Blow off the Panhandle! Be that way!

Ken, the rubber 'stuff' on the front sprocket is there for noise. It has no function otherwise.

And if you didn't already, you should use new fasteners on the rear sprocket ring.

So, can you tell any difference after the re-fit?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Fine! Blow off the Panhandle! Be that way!

Ken, the rubber 'stuff' on the front sprocket is there for noise. It has no function otherwise.

And if you didn't already, you should use new fasteners on the rear sprocket ring.

So, can you tell any difference after the re-fit?
Hmmm, that's not my understanding at all. Them rubber biscuits cushion the impact when the drive chain slack comes up and begins to turn the wheel. If you just had metal on metal, the drivetrain wouldn't be silky-smooth.

Didn't put in new fastners, but I submerged the old ones in warm salt water for several hours before reinstalling them.

Oh Hell Yeah, it's like a new bike with the new drivetrain. I recently upgraded the rear suspension, had my big tune-up/throttle body sync, and added a Madstad bracket with a Givi screen. So it's really feeling like a new bike in a lot of ways. Any day now my custom Rick Mayer seat is supposed to arrive, I sure hope it gets here before the big ride. That stock seat crushes my nuts into the tank.

Its.......A FACT!

Last edited by Morbo the Destroyer : 03-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

No, no...

I was talking about the OEM FRONT sprocket, not the rear.

I concur completely with location and purpose of the rubber biscuits (Boww-boww-boww)...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote