Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #11
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Only 5% made jokes and were no help at all? Wow, that's impressive!

I've seen baffle "stock" before, it looks like a cheese grater turned into a long tube. It comes in different diameters and you cut it to the length you need. JP Cycles, Custom Chrome, or one of those guys has it.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
I'm going to do something crazy like measure the inside of the stock header and put an insert in each header pipe the same size and stick a home made ss baffle dropping the cans inside from 2.25 to 1.75.
"Crazy" is a pretty good description of messing with the pipes at the header end. That could result in engine damage from burned exhaust valves. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Reducing the diameter at the far end is a much better idea. If you can include a diverter in there you would almost have a real muffler.

As for the type of answers you get from random, unknown individuals on Internet forums........your analysis is pretty typical. You neglected to mention that there is usually one or two good suggestions mixed in there; the problem is picking them out. In this case, I know that there was at least ONE.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
sfoti
Registered Member

I have 06 jackpot with ness shotgun pipes and want to remove the baffels do i need a dynojet to stop back pressure
sfoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #14
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoti View Post
I have 06 jackpot with ness shotgun pipes and want to remove the baffels do i need a dynojet to stop back pressure
You need to adjust the intake to compensate for the loss of backpressure caused by removing the baffles. If you have a carburetted bike, you'll need to re-jet the carb. If you have a fuel-injected bike, you adjust the fuel mix via an electronic controller like a Power Commander.

Or, you could just leave the baffles in.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
sfoti
Registered Member

Thats what I was told but i was also told i need a dynojet and a power commander, is this true?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats what I was told but i was also told i need a dynojet and a power commander, is this true?
No, that's not right. "A Dynojet" usually means a kit that has the carb jets for your bike and exhaust setup. If you have EFI, you won't need it; the PC does that job. Likewise, if you have a carb, there's nothing to connect a PC to. It's one or the other.

Maybe what you're being told is the bike should be tuned on a "dyno," which is actually a dynometer, often built by Dynojet Inc. That's the thing they strap your bike to and run it, simulating actual road conditions while they adjust either the carb or the EFI.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"Dynojet" = Brand of Dynamometer, known for its ability to show Massive HP gains on a vehicle with only a cheap programmer, a K&N Filter, and a hacksaw to cut off the pipes/cats.

Whether or not those "gains" are REAL is subjective.

Probably, what they've been telling you is: you need to bring your bike to them so they can charge you $162.50/hr for 6-10 hours of Dyno-time so they can have their "Tuna" futz with it until it runs like Shyte.

But it'll sound fast and powerful.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-08-2011 at 08:24 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
sfoti
Registered Member

thanks for the info, i was told i needed both dynojet and power commander if the baffles are removed im in California so i don't know how the emissions apply
Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks for the info, i was told i needed both dynojet and power commander if the baffles are removed im in California so i don't know how the emissions apply
SIGH.

It is likely that what you want to do is ILLEGAL......both because of the noise generated AND the emissions.

I propose that you just RIDE the bike and enjoy it for what it IS.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #20
pplassm
Founding Member

And, we have come full circle, once again.