Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Monica.
Registered Member

Default New rider needs help with lowering.

Hi,

I am going to purchase a Ninja 250r. I'm 4'10" and need the bike lowered. One dealer I spoke with said it is best to lower the bike from front to back, as well as purchase a new kickstand. Another dealer said to lower only the back, and to weld down the factory kickstand. Can anyone chime in and help me out? Thanks in advance.
Monica. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It is indeed "best" to lower both ends an equal amount (as much as possible, anyway) - to do otherwise might adversely affect weight-distribution and handling.

Have a care with some of the lowering-kits out there: stamped or fabricated flat-steel (that mimics the stock pieces) might not have the "bling factor" that aluminium links have, but it does not fatigue and crack, nor come apart or wear-out expensive rod-ends like the "infinitely adjustable" links do.

1/4" flat-plate works well as a substitute for the 5mm-thick stamped stock pieces, and I discovered through trial-and-error that on the EX250s Big Brother, the EX500, that the fulcrum-ratio was about 4:1 (i.e. every 1/4" or so of length would lower the bike roughly 1").

That said, I've never lowered an EX250, so the ratio might be different, or the pieces thinner or thicker.

Lowering the front is as easy as loosening the upper and lower triple-clamps of both forks, and letting the bike slide-down on the stanchions.

Make certain to compress the forks as fully as you can, to ensure you're not contacting the bodywork or radiator with the tire or fender, and test all the controls at full-lock of the handlebars in each direction - wouldn't do to have the bike accelerating when you didn't want it do do so because of a binding throttle-cable!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Get boots with thick soles & high, but solid (wide) heels. You need good boots anyway and that may lessen the need for adjusting the bike.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

DO NOT cut the springs in the forks. Tell the mechanic to raise the forklegs in the triple trees. Put dogbones in the rear. Don't go for a shorter shock. GET mile high boots. Gene Simmons KISS style stuff. It will help. A friend that's barely 5ft has some riding boots with soles that seem to be 3inches thick and she can ride in them all day. She had to adjust the brake and shift levers a little but loves them.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

My girlfriend is 5'2" and rides a Ninja 500. First she had it lowered three inches (against my advice). It changed the handling and every time she went over a bump the centerstand would bang against said bump. Not fun. So we changed the lowering link to one inch (and installed a new kickstand). And she wears thick-heeled boots. Now she's happy as a clam.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Get boots with thick soles & high, but solid (wide) heels. You need good boots anyway and that may lessen the need for adjusting the bike.
This is the best advice; easy, relatively cheap and transferable to another bike later. Along with that, you often can shave an inch or so off the seat padding.

None of that has a negative impact on handling, ride or resale value.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
Locky
Registered Member

You can buy lowering links for the 250.Slingshot Racing sells them for 39 dollars.Also as said you can slide the forks up.Also removing foam from the seat works.As far as lowering the front or rear you don't have to do both,I'd suggest you lower the rear first and if that doesn't give you what you need than do the front.The lowering links don't have enough adjustment in them to get you in any trouble with handling.It's always best to do one thing at a time with your suspension.After you get the bike lowered where you want set your sag height or have someone help you and you'll have a sweat handling bike.If you really want to throw some money at it companies like Works or Hagon will even make you a shorter rear shock.Whatever you do though don't let anybody talk you into cutting anything.As for welding the kickstand try it first if it's to long with the bike lowered have someone cut the foot off take out what you need gone and weld it back on.Good luck....

Last edited by Locky : 01-26-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote