Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Default Custom Seat. Russell Day-Long. Honda VLX 600

Has anybody out there got any experience with that combination ??
Or opinions on Russell in general ??

I got a Mustang for my '07 Shadow VLX 600 but it's not all that much different and I still get a butt cramp after about 40 minutes.

The Russell pic's on the web site looks like what I think a comfortable seat should be..........but at ~ $500 it's a big gamble.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Has anybody out there got any experience with that combination ??
Or opinions on Russell in general ??

I got a Mustang for my '07 Shadow VLX 600 but it's not all that much different and I still get a butt cramp after about 40 minutes.

The Russell pic's on the web site looks like what I think a comfortable seat should be..........but at ~ $500 it's a big gamble.
No experience with that brand, but I have a Corbin rigid gel saddle seat, and it's the most comfortable place to sit at my house. With heat & dual backrests it retails at over $1000 (installed by previous owner).
How old is your Mustang seat? may not be broken in yet, they are considerably less expensive & I've heard decent reviews on the Mustsang.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

The Russell is the seat of choice with many Iron Butt riders. According to what I've learned they are particularly good for big, heavy riders. They build in a "suspension" system to distribute your weight. The Russell may be overkill for anyone under 190; it's certainly expensive and takes forever to get one. Used ones on the boards get snapped up the minute they're posted. There are alternatives. I have a Rick Mayer (Rick Mayer Cycle custom motorcycle seats) in production; they custom fit like Russell does, but cost quite a bit less.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

I researched them before I bought my Sargent. They seem to be the end all be all of motorcycle seats, but I find them to be too funny looking to seriously consider. My Sargent on the other hand looks the bee's knees and after 1000 miles is molded to my backside. My wife loves it even more as that was the main reason I purchased. Changed the pillion from convex to concave, locking her in place more and much more supportive. Corbin eliminated the height adjuster for my bmw and then removed even more padding, reducing my leg room by over 3 inches. Not an option...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I have a Rick Mayer (Rick Mayer Cycle custom motorcycle seats) in production; they custom fit like Russell does, but cost quite a bit less.
Thanks for the information so far.

Alas, the VLX is unique in the Shadow line......and is not really like the more standard variations of Shadows. Because of that, I can't count on anything really working for me if they just list "Shadow".

The Mustang is the only one I've been able to find for the VLX (until I found it listed by Russell) but although a fine piece of upholstry, it really isn't that much different than the stock seat. It is NOTHING like the Mustand Touring seats they make for the bigger models.

I REALLY don't care about ugly. You won't be able to see it while my butt is planted on it.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I'm not sure you know this ER, but Russell, Mayer, and many other seat makers start with your existing seat, so fitment on the bike is a non issue. They strip everything off the seat pan, and start from there. Of course, you're off your bike for a few weeks while they make it, unless you get lucky and find someone to lend or sell you one to use in the meantime.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
I'm not sure you know this ER, but Russell, Mayer, and many other seat makers start with your existing seat, so fitment on the bike is a non issue.
Yes, I know that. I've got my OEM seat available to send with no down time, since its WINTER and I have the Mustang mounted anyway.

Fitment on my butt is the concern.......not fitment on the bike.

The previoius comment about "look" I think illustrates a big part of the problem. The seats that look sleek are generally not fitted to the human form in a manner that produces comfort. The seats that look like your easy chair at home (on a BIG touring bike) or those that look like a tractor seat (the Russell) seem to be the best. I know from experience that a tractor seat will hold you up with no major discomfort for up to 14 hours a day; I've done it......on a metal seat, no less.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Fitment on my butt is the concern.......not fitment on the bike.

The previoius comment about "look" I think illustrates a big part of the problem. The seats that look sleek are generally not fitted to the human form in a manner that produces comfort. The seats that look like your easy chair at home (on a BIG touring bike) or those that look like a tractor seat (the Russell) seem to be the best.
Aha. Russell, Mayer, and others let you ride in and custom fit you on the spot. Of course that's only good if you're close. Just after I ordered my Mayer I found a custom seat builder about 100 miles away...

You're right about look versus function. The Russell is butt ugly. Mayer is supposed to be a good compromise between look and comfort, and he says he also designs to allow you to move around on the seat as you corner. We'll see; I won't get mine for another three weeks.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoseo
The Mayer seats are ugly as heck, but man there comfortable. But I always recommend going with an intown upholster, usually you get a way better deal, and more of a custom look. I can't believe you didn't like the mustang motorcycle seats. I put one on my brothers bike, and I think it's pretty comfortable, fora mainstream brand.
You're goin' the right way for a Smacked Bottom there, Hideki.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
You're goin' the right way for a Smacked Bottom there, Hideki.
Oops. Did somebody's post get deleted ??

Mustang only makes ONE model of seat for the VLX.
It is not advertised as one of their cushy touring seats.
It is not much different in appearance or function than the stock seat, in my opinion.

Hmmmmm.......maybe I should shut up since I'm trying to sell the one that I have !!!