Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

Default Holy Sludge In My Tank Batman!!!

So yea.....got the tank off my recently bought 1998 Honda magna 750. Had to get the tank re-keyed. Got that done today and got the cap off and CRAP!!! I have a crap load of gunk and some possible rust.

What can I do? What are the best methods to cleaning this crap out of my tank?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

--=Burley=--
BurleyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Get some lead shot from a fishing place (sinkers) and about 1/4 gallon of Diesel fuel, shake it like crazy for about an hour and pour the crap out on some weeds or an ant hill. Don't drink it.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, one way is to clean it with ordinary degreaser and water, with a handful of 3/8" nuts tossed in to rattle-around and knock loose any rust flakes and big pieces of crud. Remove the petc0ck and the screen inside of it. You might even be able to knock-out the dent in it (if you know what you're doing), or have one of those "paintless" dent guys do so for you, while you're at it.

Now, as to a coating: there are about as many coatings as there are tanks out there. I have personally used the "Kreem" with good results (going on 12 years for one tank now!), but others have complained about it peeling-off after a short time. I think that's primarily because the DIDN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER in it, but that's just me.........

My only "real" complaint about the Kreem was, there's not enough in the kit to really get a "big" tank - the HawkGT has a ~3 gallon tank, and the 5-gallon kit barely coated the first one I did.

It is also a MUST to get every bit of the "drying" chemical (toluene, IIRC) out of the tank before applying the coating - I had access to an intrinsically-safe vacuum (suction-tee), and was able to get everything. I would not use a shop-vac. I also made a small plate and gasket to seal the fuel-filler hole, and "Kreemed" the tank all the way to the very top (possibly another of the problems many have had with it) - if you use the gas cap, it will plug and ruin the venting-valve built-into the cap.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
BurleyBiker
Registered Member

Cool thanks guys.

I've been doing some reading and have one question. So after using one of the methods below like the diesel or I also read about method using some kerosene and a cup of BB`S .put a quart of kero and the cup of bb`s in the tank put fuel cap on and shake.may have to do this a couple of times but this works. This is quoted from another website.

So I got the general idea of how to clean the inside of the tank.

but after I'm done doing this do I have to "coat" the tank? does this depend on rust? the amount of it? etc etc.

What are the factors? If I just have a lot of gunk and no rust do I still need to coat?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

-=Burley=-
BurleyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

To coat, or not to coat: That is The Question!

If there's no real rust, I'd just let it go. Keep it full in the Winter (or any time you store it for an extended time) with a bit of fuel-treatment to stop the fuel from breaking-down, and it'll be fine for a long time. If it's rusty, the only way to actually STOP the rust, is to prevent any oxygen from getting to the metal - a coating. My tanks were actually pitted a bit, so I elected to coat them.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Oh yes!

Once you clean the inside with whatever chemicals and 'media' (nuts, BB's, etc.) you will have an unprotected metal surface.

So, you must put a protective (and gas and alcohol-proof) coating on it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Oh yes!

Once you clean the inside with whatever chemicals and 'media' (nuts, BB's, etc.) you will have an unprotected metal surface.

So, you must put a protective (and gas and alcohol-proof) coating on it.
Y'know, after a bit of consideration - pushrod reminded me of the pyss they put in gas nowadays. Alcohol draws water to it like a sponge - right out of the air, even. And, it's heavily oxygenated. Water and oxygen are the basis of corrosion for many metals (notably steel), and continued exposure will cause them to eventually "be no more".

It's up to you to make the call though, Burley.