Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Noise in engine + Exhaust change (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/17167-noise-engine-exhaust-change.html)

lovvyrules 12-05-2010 09:58 PM

Noise in engine + Exhaust change

Hello everyone,

I just bought a motorcycle 125 cc, there is a noise in the engine which i don't like. As if some a metal is touching another one!!! I did the first servicing - changed oil, fix brakes (front and back wheels), and changed the 'ignition'. I am worried about this noise. Please give me your opinions, what can i do.

I want to change the exhaust. Will it affect the riding power of the motorcycle? Will it be more powerfull or less?

Thank you very much.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-06-2010 05:13 AM

There's no way anyone can make a meaningful diagnosis from this post. Some bikes make a lot of engine noise normally; your bike might have anything from loose valves to being ready to throw a rod. Do the obvious stuff and make sure there's the right amount of oil, the chain is properly adjusted, etc. If it's a seriously bad metal on metal noise, take it to a technician. Riding it like that could be disasterous.

A new exhaust can improve performance if it's installed with the right fuel modifications. Just adding the new exhaust will lean the bike's fuel mix, so you need to either re-jet the carb or get a fuel controller if it's fuel-injected.

lovvyrules 12-06-2010 05:16 AM

hi, i think the valve is making the noise. i will take it to a technician in the evening.

i wanted to know how does an exhaust change the performance of a moto?

The_AirHawk 12-06-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovvyrules (Post 252831)
hi, i think the valve is making the noise. i will take it to a technician in the evening.

Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad - you can not usually obtain any gains without intake-modifications and fueling-modifications along with the exhaust.

Typically though, it just makes the bike seem faster because it's merely louder.

"Loose" valves are far-better than "tight" valves - up to a point.

Sometimes, what is thought to be valve noise is instead an exhaust-leak at the cylinder-head and exhaust header-pipe junction. You might check the tightness of your header-bolts.

Morbo the Destroyer 12-06-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovvyrules (Post 252831)

Glad you asked that, Lovey.

Changing the exhaust on a motorcycle will greatly improve it's performance. Here's why:

The motorcycle will be louder.
The new sound will make the motorcycle sound badass.
That badass sound will make the rider feel like a Badass Dude.
Badass Dudes aren't afraid to whip that throttle.
With more throttle, the motorcycle will go much faster.

Next week I'll cover suspension upgrades, and why riders over 250 lbs. are actually an asset to handling!

henryb 07-05-2011 02:22 AM

First check that due to not tight fitting of any body part in service can also cause noise so first check it and then after if not so then take your vehicle to workshop for repair and there they would say you what is the problem in your vehicle and then after remove the noise and with that service there seems no any change in performance except you change some major part.