Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
longhorn717
Registered Member

Angry brake reservior overhaul

Hey guys I've got that old 80 Honda CB400t I was on here talking about not too long ago and need some advice on the brake cylinder. I got a rebuild kit from oldbikebarn.com and it seems to be a very nice kit. only problem is the new "plunger" doesn't want to fit into the cylinder with the little rubber boot that is supposed to fit on it. The old one fits in so nice but unfortunately the rubber boot on that one isn't reuseable. any ideas to make it work right?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
longhorn717
Registered Member

Anyone? I really need to get back on the road.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

They sent the wrong kit.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
longhorn717
Registered Member

Sorry strike one. I just checked with the people over at OldBikeBarn and I got the correct kit. I also checked the package against their website and the part number matches. So I'm still not sure what the issue is with this dang seal but I'm gonna go try to persuade it to fit again.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

If it's close, then you have the right part, and you need to carefully coax the plunger into the cylinder. Of course, keep a sheen of brake fluid on it to keep it slippery.

If it ain't close, see Seru's post.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

If it doesn't fit and looks different than the old one then there is something wrong with the kit. Sometimes a wrong part number gets loaded onto a package or into a computer. If you order a lot of parts you will run into this occasionally.

I got a wrong piston for an IT175 just last spring and the shop had to get the supplier to find the right part. Turns out the boxes were mislabeled at the warehouse.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If appearance and size are substantially different = Wrong Part, regardless of what the package sez. I run-into this literally all the time, especially with seals.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
longhorn717
Registered Member

no no. this turns out to be the correct part. Got it all put back together again. problem was i had to wiggle it around alot. but once I figured out how to get it in there it would go up and down just fine. that snap ring though is a royal pain in the @$$. I've moved on down to the caliper and got the piston out. What was behind it though was not comforting. about a 1/4 of the space was filled with brown-orangish sludge. I ordered a caliper rebuild kit as well for this bike. but I went on what my manual told me and got one for a similar honda bike that it said had the same caliper. well none of the dang seals in that one are big enough for the caliper I have. This is really frustrating. I don't think this bike has had a brake overhaul since the thing was built in 1980.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Unless you have another (new) puck, be very careful cleaning the old one! Don't use anything more aggressive than a toothbrush (a real toothbrush, not a shop one) and maybe some baking soda.

If you cut the surface ("profile") at all, it'll leak. So don't use sandpaper or even a metal brush.

To add to your fun, I'd recommend you put new hoses on it, too. The old ones are almost certainly shot.

Lastly (or firstly), cover your gas tank (and maybe even the front fender) with a layer of plastic (cut apart a couple grocery bags) and top that with an old bath towel. Even if the paint is already toast, you sure don't want to spill any brake fluid on it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn717 View Post
I don't think this bike has had a brake overhaul since the thing was built in 1980.
Few of them have.

It's wholly-unecessary to do so, if you bleed the brakes regularly. But then, most motos are treated like cars or appliances - expected to work, then ignored...... until they quit working......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote