Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
ratfab
Registered Member

Default no spark?

So, my neighbor bought a 1980 Suzuki GS550 and we're not getting any spark. I'm not really a bike guy but he wants to get into it so I said I'd help him out. Anyway...the motor turns over just fine but after pulling a plug to check for spark there was none. One of the coils started to get a bit hot after turning it over a few times. Is this an issue? How do we check to see if the coils are good or not? What are the other things to check as far as the ignition goes. any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sam.
ratfab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The ignition is like any other electronic ignition. You have pickups, coils, a spark unit and the plugs and wires. Any of those or any combination can be bad.

A coil shouldn't get hot though. It's probably bad. If that's all that's wrong then you should be getting sparks from the other coil. If not your picks or spark unit can be bad. Pickups should read only a few ohms. A spark unit is not testable.