Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

Cut your springs.

If you cut 10% off the spring, and make it up with PVC, you will increase the spring rate by 10%. Make sure you are not coil-binding, though.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You're a pretty good sized guy, that in conjunction with the limp stock suspension is going to limit what you can do with it. I've never heard of Airhawks spring-whacking but hell give it a try, you never know!

I would add an inch or two of PVC pipe and put some 15 or 20 weight fork oil in there and call it good myself. It's going to ride like a jackhammer but there's just not a lot you can do to improve that bikes forks without spending a lot of money, none of which you will ever get back. Rear shocks will be a little easier to upgrade but again, you're throwing money down a rabbit hole so I wouldn't get too carried away.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
longhorn717
Registered Member

I personally like the bike more than I ever imagined and given an upgrade in suspension it suits me just fine for the riding we have around here. It lacks the "twist and rip" acceleration I like and the "wow I'm really doing 150" top speed but then again its not a new superbike either. for what it is, its a pretty decent bike. but my size is a taxing the suspension. I like the new springs and cartridge fork emulator that Airhawk suggested. and a pair of new rear shocks should help out a bit. But the "4-500 bucks is the most i'll ever get" comment is not entirely accurate. I've had several people offer me 700 "as-is" which I've got a head leaking a bit of oil and the suspension issue. so overall I'm not doing too bad to put a little money into it. Until I get a new bike.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn717 View Post
I personally like the bike more than I ever imagined and given an upgrade in suspension it suits me just fine for the riding we have around here. It lacks the "twist and rip" acceleration I like and the "wow I'm really doing 150" top speed but then again its not a new superbike either. for what it is, its a pretty decent bike. but my size is a taxing the suspension. I like the new springs and cartridge fork emulator that Airhawk suggested. and a pair of new rear shocks should help out a bit. But the "4-500 bucks is the most i'll ever get" comment is not entirely accurate. I've had several people offer me 700 "as-is" which I've got a head leaking a bit of oil and the suspension issue. so overall I'm not doing too bad to put a little money into it. Until I get a new bike.
Maybe you should take the money and run before those people come to their senses.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
longhorn717
Registered Member

good song. but right now I need it for transportation otherwise I would get rid of it.