Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Bought my 1st motorcycle, now what? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/15893-bought-my-1st-motorcycle-now-what.html)

pintoches 07-21-2010 07:24 PM

Bought my 1st motorcycle, now what?

So I drove up to lees and bought a motorcycle. This is my 1st bike,and it needs a lot of help? Think it is a 82 honda ascot FT500

Was wondering if any one knew a good forum, on line parts dealer, or any just any thing to help out.

This is what I see wrong right now

broken wires
modified wires
broken lens
missing seat (lee thinks he can find it)
missing key
battery
front brakes don't clamp no brake fluid
rear brakes wont release
jumped power to stater just "clunk" like some thing is stuck
tires dry rotted
forks leaked oil
sure there will be more.

The_AirHawk 07-21-2010 09:10 PM

Does the engine even turn over?

That might be the reason it sez "clunk" - a siezed piston.......

Good Luck, 'cuz Buddy - you're gonna NEED it!

pintoches 07-21-2010 09:18 PM

If I take the plug out of the cover and put the socket on what I think is the crank, the engine will turn over! I have taken all the starter bolts out the starter is lose but cant seem to get it out, but with it lose and hooking a jump pack to it it will spin.

MOKE1K 07-21-2010 09:32 PM

DUDE? LEES is laughing who ever they are, unless you paid a dollar. Then I'd say you got a great deal. Wow,.... really? Wow.

What you need to try is to goggle a forum that's specific to this model like hummmm ascott500.com. Find a place where you can get cheap parts cause brother your going need it!!!

Find out the motors leakdown percentage and if its got compression. Next will be spark. Good luck cause brother your gong to need it!!!

Buzglyd 07-21-2010 09:44 PM

I think Ken has a sal****er method for fixing that thing.

trenttheuncatchable 07-22-2010 06:55 AM

With the prices of used bikes being what they are, it will cost you a lot more to fix that thing than to buy a working/running bike. Hopefully you'll be happy with the results if you actually do fix it.

acecycleins 07-22-2010 08:21 AM

1st- you were given this heap, right? 2nd- DennisKirk.com - Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, ATV, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile, PWC / Watercraft Parts, Apparel, and Accessories will be your friend for cheap aftermarket parts. 3- turn it into a flat tracker.
Luck!

Kenneth_Moore 07-22-2010 09:15 AM

Ye Gods, somebody actually used my "Salt Water Immersion" process!

Here's the only solution for that bike:

Fill a 3 gallon bucket 1/2 way with gasoline. Add 2 bottles of Dawn dish soap and 1 pound of Ivory powdered laundry detergent. Stir vigorously. Once the mixture has congealed into a gelatin, spread it over the engine and other mechanical components of the bike.

Light fuse. Get away quickly. Not for use without adult supervision.

mscuddy 07-22-2010 09:33 AM

Don't listen to these turkeys, Ascots were great bikes, and you should have it running in no time. Shoot me a private message and I'll tell you the secret used ascot places. Not enought room or time in this forum...

sarnali2 07-22-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 246368)
Don't listen to these turkeys, Ascots were great bikes, and you should have it running in no time. Shoot me a private message and I'll tell you the secret used ascot places. Not enought room or time in this forum...

If Cuddy drops a wrench, don't bend over in front of him to pick it up (he's an Airdale, they're all "funny" that way)....