Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
wallabe99
Registered Member

Default 2005 Suzuki BLVD M50 Clutch Problem

Hello all,

I have a 05 Blvd M50 and figure this might be the board that helps. So the problem is: The bike can shift to 2nd, 3rd, 4th and N. It won't shift to 1st and 5th. It starts and runs in idle though all those gears. It never makes the indication that it goes into gear.

I am very technical and mechanical inclined so I fix it if it something that doesn't require a shop to do. Also does anybody know if there is a service manual for this bike I can download in a pdf file. Thanks in advance
wallabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

What does the tention feel like on the clutch lever. Also what makes you think it's not the trans.
Give us some more information, does it ever pop out of gear?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Sounds like a part of the linkage in the shift mechanism has been bent by someone forcing the bike into gear. If you jack up the rear of the bike you can spin the rear wheel by hand and shift the gears. See if it will go into 1st and 5th while spinning the wheel. If not then you'll need to get into the tranny.

You might be able to inspect the shift mechanism by removing a cover plate on the tranny. If not then the engine will need to be removed and dismantled.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Also how fast are you going when trying to shift into 5th gear?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
wallabe99
Registered Member

Ohk sorry for not putting some details in there. The bike doesn't ride at all. It won't move even if you try to start it in Neutral and shift to another gear or vice versa.

To Moke1k: The funny thing is the tension in the clutch lever is the same. I tighten it to make sure that wasn't it. Still does the same thing. As for popping out of gear, I was told by the dealer that this bike does it from time to time when you hard shift it. Out of the three years I rode the bike it pop out of gear like 7 times. Didn't do it before it completely went out. I hope its not the tranny.

To seruzawa: That sounds like fun. I recall when I was pushing that heavy thing up and down a hill trying that. I took the cover off recently and should of jacked it up to find out. The mechanism looked kind of good but I didn't know what I was looking at.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

When your starting the bike in neutral and you try to shift into first can you feel it snap into gear on your foot? Do you hear a clack sound? Does the neutral light go off or just stay on?

When you say you tightened up the clutch did you adjust it up by the clutch lever or down by the motor where it attaches to

the shaft? You must always have free
play on not only the clutch, but the
throttle as well.

The free play for the clutch should be
adjusted at the lever. With the adjuster
turned all the way in, towards the throttle
side. Once the cable starts to stretch you
adjust the cable out. One method of
knowing your free play is set right - and
this is an old method- when you pull the
lever
towards the grip you should beable to
stick a nickel between the area that
the piece the lever rests against when the
clutch is not engadged (hand off) and the
piece of the lever that contacts that stop.
That piece is known as the clutch perch.

Oh and if a reputable dealer ever tells you a bikes transmission pops out of gear when shifting hard that means something is not right with the gear box. This pertains to mostly used but Iv seen it on barely used as in brand new. Dogs and slots would be suspect which are located on the sides of each gear. In the end though Im thinking tranny and that requires the motor to be dropped.Good luck and go pay a dealer to diagnose the exact problem then go from there.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 06-24-2010 at 08:30 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Sorry about the format Iam on my phone.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
wallabe99
Registered Member

When I shift it the light goes off. That's from neutral to first if it goes. The problem is, when I shift it that way it doesn't go all the way into first gear it goes enough to make the light go off. If that makes any sense. I'm beginning to swallow this big horse pill of dealing with the dealer. I was told by some people that it could be the shift fork.

I adjusted the clutch at the lever, which I also took off the plate to uncover the clutch itself to see if it was engaging.

It took me three years to move the bike from my brother's house to mine, Cause I don't have a truck and trailer. So hopefully I can find something or rent a u-haul to transport it.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

If the shift mechanism is okay then you probably have bent shifting forks and perhaps worn dogs in the tranny.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Try holding pressure on the pedal -shifter- and slowly let the clutch out. See what happens. There's not much to the transmission it's more of a matter of getting to it. It does sound like a fork. Usually the main problem with gear boxes is either it won't stay in gear (dogs&slots). Or it won't shirt into gear (fork). A bent fork can deffinately play a role in the dogs or slots getting sheared down.

Let a trained proffesional examine it. Don't go to the shop that told you " it only does that when you shift hard. Look for a tech that mainly does engine work. 40 yrs or more in the business or even 25 if all he does is motors. Again good luck and stay positive, only worry when ya have to!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 06-25-2010 at 03:58 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote