Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
wallabe99
Registered Member

Yeah I kind of know what I'm getting into. $1200 the dealer can fix it. But I can call again and ask somewhere else.
wallabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

It might be cheaper at a non dealer just make sure the are reputable and experience with your model.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
bing_m
Registered Member

Default were you able to fix the problem wit your m50

I also have a 05 Suzuki boulevard M50. There was nothing wrong with my m50 when I parked it for the winter.
I tried to use it this weekend and firstly, it will not go to first gear so I drove it with what I think was the 2nd gear.
After several minutes, I have to stop as the clutch lever was really stiff (just to give my left hand a break). I started it and drove again and after a few minutes , I stopped again and killed the engine.
This time, when I turned the engine on and tried to drive, it will not go anymore but the engine is running. I tried changing gears and I can hear it clack but it will not move.
I ended up pushing the bike to my brother's place (Luckily it was not that far and it was not fun)
I dropped the bike before the winter and it moved the clutch lever a bit but like I said, before the winter, it was ok.
Can someone tell me what could be causing this?
bing_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm no mechanic but if your lever is bent to the point where it is not engaging/disengaging proplerly, or all the way, you may not be getting it into gear at all. When you were riding it this season, did you get through all the gears? or only low gear (1st, posably 2nd)? First thing I'd try is if I could straighten the lever & lightly oil it to see if the clutch difficulty is the lever binding or something mechanical down below. Good luck, others on here will likely have better suggestions.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Also if the cable is frayed somewhere in the jacketing, that ratsnest would have a tough time sliding within it and will snap soon. Your trouble is likely outside the casings.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Sounds to me like your clutch is out of adjustment. It's probably going into gear but the plates are coming together to drive the bike forward.

Here's how to test: lift the rear wheel off the ground. Put the bike in any gear. See if you can rotate the rear tire. You probably can. Get the clutch adjusted and you should be fine.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing_m View Post
Can someone tell me what could be causing this?
You already know how to check and adjust the free-play in the clutch cable, right ?? If not, you should learn how......along with a few other things that are considered "rider performed maintenance"......like adjusting the position of the rear brake pedal. An owner's manual is a must.

Your current problem is likely something simple, like the bent lever or cable adjustment.........which would be something simple to fix IF YOU DO IT NOW. Trying to ride it in that condition is likely to be dangerous, both to the bike and to YOU. If the cause and fix aren't obvious to you, you need onsite help, either from a friend or from a shop.