Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Bulldozer
Registered Member

Default 1979 Honda CB400 Speedometer

Hey Folks, Newbie with a problem.
My 79 Honda Hawk 400 has been hit several times whilst parked last year. Fierce parking wars going on here. The last time it was hit the speedometer cable was ripped out at the wheel end. The bike it'self was pretty much upside down, facing the wrong way on the road w/fuel in the gutter. Twisted forks, damaged brake caliper, smashed fairing etc... Bike is finally back on the road. I replaced the speedo cable(first one defective,factory) and now the speed reads way wrong, it's out by 20 kph @ 100kph(Canadian). Worked great prior to hits. Is it possible that Honda has a dual gear in the hub and it has switched to the American MPH? No mention of this in the manual at all. I have a dual faceplate with MPH and KPH, so can't see a dual gear ratio in wheel hub. But can't think of anything else.
Please n Thanx for any input.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

They use the same gear. The only difference is the speedo face. Something may have come loose inside the speedo. It is possible to carefully pry the chrome ring off and look inside the speedo.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Bulldozer
Registered Member

Thanx, Seruzawa,
I'm gonna keep fiddling with it, maybe take a tap hammer out on a ride. I've had the wheel off 3 times lookin for something. See if I can find one of those radar traps that display your speed on a screen and not on paper. Get a rough Idea of actual speed.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote