Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
jim250
Registered Member

Default removed wrong oil drain plug?

Hi,

I just recently bought a new suzuki TU 250. With 600 miles on the bike I decided to change the oil myself. Like a %&*ass I did not look at the owners manual. When I loosened the oil drain plug which I found out later that it wasn't, a spring and another part that looks like a bolt with no threads came out. Can some one please tell me how this goes back together in the correct order? I learned my lesson not to do any work on the bike with out a manual if I'm not sure about something. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS. Jim
jim250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
jim250
Registered Member

I think I removed the crankcase plug?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's the detent spring that on older models with a kick starter held the kick start shaft in the correct posiiton, but on yours it most likely held the shift cam in place, the threadless bolt is the follower that holds resistance against the shift drum/cam, works on grooves in the shift cam/drum to stop it from moving without any input from the shift lever.

If you didn't try to shift it, or turn the motor over, very carefully put it back in the way it came out, and you'll most likely be OK. If you experience any unusual resistance screwing the main bolt back in, stop right there and buy a manual. Hope you don't have to spit the cases or anything.

You might be able to get a flashlight and peer into the hole, and see if you can stick a long skinny phillips screwdriver in the hole to line up the cam so the threadless bolt goes into it. Same thing happened to me with a Jawa 90. I was able to fix it with the screw driver method.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
jim250
Registered Member

I'm not sure how it came out. The thing that fell out that looks like a bolt with no threads. Which direction does it go in? I'll try to look up in there with flashlight.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Look up the exploded parts diagrams of your bike on bikebandit. If that doesn't help get a manual. You should have one anyhow. Sounds like you removed the device that holds the shifting drum in place. The unthreaded bolt would probably go with the rounded end in first, the spring next then the bolt. At least that's how it goes in my old DR400.

Safest thing is to get a manual.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
jim250
Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go to the dealer first thing in the morning to find out for sure how it goes back together. bikebandit shows a diagram. It looks like it goes back together like you explained it. Thanks again. Jim
Old 05-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
jim250
Registered Member

Got it back together and works fine. Followed the diagram on bikebandit. Learned my lesson. Thanks for all the help. Jim
Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Don't let that turn you off from doing your own maintenance Jim. For me, working on the bike is as much fun as riding it. I won't do an engine rebuild, but brakes, chain and sprockets, lube, filters...and accessories, are all great fun.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Perfect diag guys. Listen to Seru and perform your own maintenance. a year from now you'll be laughing about this.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

When I was younger I "helped" a friend change the oil in his car and drained the transmission, added 3.5 qts. oil and couldn't find out why I couldn't get a clean reading on the dipstick. Live & learn.