Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
paul_acrossgsx250f
Registered Member

Default fluttering/vibration

hey guys, need a little help here. my bike started making a fluttering/vibrating noise(sound like somewhere near front or under bike) which only becomes present when accelarating(even in neutral) and gets louder as u rev, even the slightest rev gives a small sound. then after 4days riding with this annoying noise i heard a bang or a pop, as if something fell out or broke off and instantly the sound was gone. when i go home i reved the bike to look for the sound, nothing there, except the engine heated up a little so i looked at the oil level and it was empty. havent ridden it since. not sure what it could be.
it may have been instigated by riding over a hump without breaking, but i didnt sound like i hit anything under the bike when i went over the hump.
so lost here.
any help will be much appreciated.
cheers my suzuki brothers, lol
Paul
paul_acrossgsx250f is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"Looked at the oil level and it was empty" A GSX250 is an ancient design that is about as reliable as an anvil. Top off the oil and ride it some more. That noise was probably the crankshaft snapping in half, or the cylinder head imploding, but since it's a GSX250 you'll probably be able to ride it for a few more years before it quits. Pip pip and all that.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
paul_acrossgsx250f
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
"Looked at the oil level and it was empty" A GSX250 is an ancient design that is about as reliable as an anvil. Top off the oil and ride it some more. That noise was probably the crankshaft snapping in half, or the cylinder head imploding, but since it's a GSX250 you'll probably be able to ride it for a few more years before it quits. Pip pip and all that.
thanks brother. should be alright do ride for a couple more months then before i get rid of the thing. time to upgrade to a gixxer
this was only a get around bike, only had it for 1month
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Probly weren't empty, yo. Just oil b'low sight glass. Top it up. Long as oil light not go on probly no real harm done.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
paul_acrossgsx250f
Registered Member

yeh except yesterday when i tried starting it, it would turn on first time but chug out after 20secs and die. after that it would turn but not start, tried quite a few times, no luck. usually on a cold morning i would have a similar problem but it would start on choke, no luck yesterday, hence i thought something to do with the oil. and it was funny the oil level was in between the high and low level indicatorm right in the middle, then after a few days, including freeway riding, it was suddenly empty, or no oil could be seen in the window glass. :S
Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_acrossgsx250f View Post
yeh except yesterday when i tried starting it, it would turn on first time but chug out after 20secs and die. after that it would turn but not start, tried quite a few times, no luck. usually on a cold morning i would have a similar problem but it would start on choke, no luck yesterday, hence i thought something to do with the oil. and it was funny the oil level was in between the high and low level indicatorm right in the middle, then after a few days, including freeway riding, it was suddenly empty, or no oil could be seen in the window glass. :S
Oil level won't affect the bike's ability to start and run. Something else is wrong.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Unless running it out of oil ruined the top end...check the plugs for bits of aluminum and burnt oily grunge. Mung and drool is OK, it's the grunge that will get you.

Hmmm, I've seen those old air cooled twins subjected to horrible abuse and come out running just fine. A plug reading should tell you what's up.

Tally ho!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
paul_acrossgsx250f
Registered Member

thanks heaps for your help guys
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
paul_acrossgsx250f
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Unless running it out of oil ruined the top end...check the plugs for bits of aluminum and burnt oily grunge. Mung and drool is OK, it's the grunge that will get you.

Hmmm, I've seen those old air cooled twins subjected to horrible abuse and come out running just fine. A plug reading should tell you what's up.

Tally ho!
whats a plug reading yo? and how do i get that done?
cheers brah
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_acrossgsx250f View Post
whats a plug reading yo? and how do i get that done?
cheers brah
Take the spark plugs out and look at them. If there are metal chips on it or it is oily then you have major damage. Plug electrodes should be grey in color.