Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   slingshot clutch (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/15296-slingshot-clutch.html)

jamespedro28 05-18-2010 01:18 PM

slingshot clutch

Hi Got A Slingshotbeen Told Its A 87 Not To Sure Thow.due To The Fact I Have No V5 Or Plate.enneyway Got Clutch Problems Amongst Other Things.when You Atempt To Pull The Lever The Clutch Doos Not Moov.[a Cable Clutch.the Cable Is Ok.remooved The Clutch Cover,wound The Spring Bolts Out A Bit And Then You Could Pull The Clutch.enney Ideas.o By The Way The Bike Is Not Running Yet.i Am Wating For A Haynes,but Slightly Impatient.i Would Be Verry Greatful.for Some Advice.

cking75 05-18-2010 01:55 PM

hurts my brain

12er 05-18-2010 02:04 PM

google translator blow up?

mscuddy 05-18-2010 02:35 PM

It's the reverse-pinion nut keeper. You can use no.8 saftey wire, along with holding the pinion in the "sprag" position with a pneumatic pickle-fork attachement you can get from J.C. Whitney.

Under no circumstances let the pinion nut go into the "warbling" mode. It might cause the sling-cable retention device to snap shut, then you're screwed.

You might want to contact Barnett Clutch at:

Barnett Performance Products | Products | Clutch Plates & Springs

Kenneth_Moore 05-18-2010 03:23 PM

What's a "Slingshot?" Aside from a kid's toy for breaking windows and an adult beverage in beachside bars?

mscuddy 05-18-2010 04:52 PM

It's a drag racing clutch that when you dump it, it slips a tiny bit so you don't smoke the run, then it engages fully after about 10 feet and over backwards you go.

jamespedro28 05-18-2010 10:54 PM

well thanks for that.for you who do not know the gsxr 750 slingshot was one of the first true superbikes.and and one of the bikes that ushered in the WSB and BSB championships.still awaiting a intelligible answer.regards pedro.

Kenneth_Moore 05-19-2010 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespedro28 (Post 242019)
the gsxr 750 slingshot was one of the first true superbikes.and and one of the bikes that ushered in the WSB and BSB championships.still awaiting a intelligible answer.regards pedro.

I certainly am aware of the Gixxer 750 and it's role in bringing "Superbikes' to the masses. I'd never heard the "Slingshot" name though, so thanks for filling that in.

Your clutch issues sound like two possible problems:
1. The plates are stacked wrong; the metal/fiber stack is reversed or in the wrong order. 2. Somebody used a low quality aftermarket clutch pack, and the stack doesn't fit into the basket correctly.

You can't expect too much diagnosis from a couple of lines on a "generic" motorcycle website. You would do a lot better on one of the GSXR-specific websites; I take my tech questions to a VStrom site, and get a lot of good answers from people who have the exact bike I do.

seruzawa 05-19-2010 06:29 AM

Still waiting for an intelligible question from Pedro.

The_AirHawk 05-19-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespedro28 (Post 242019)
well thanks for that.for you who do not know the gsxr 750 slingshot was one of the first true superbikes.and and one of the bikes that ushered in the WSB and BSB championships.still awaiting a intelligible answer.regards pedro.

Still awaiting an intelligible question, yo.......