Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default More Tiger 1050

Hokay. I've done a few mods to the 2005 Tiger. I've added Givi crashbars and some highway pegs, handguards and 30mm lowering plates.

I decided to lower the bike a bit because it is difficult to get my feet flat on the ground even with my wife on the back. I bought a set from Mick in England who you can find on Triumph rat. They were $86 US including shipping which was way cheaper than anyone else. It only took aout 15 minutes to do the job with a jack, a 5mm allen wrench to loosen the triple clamps and push up the fork tubes, a T50 torx wrench and a 14mm ratchet. It didn't require shortening the sidestand and now I can plant my feet solidly. I'm 6' with a 31" inseam but dang that bike is tall stock.

The Givi engine guards were $172 including shipping from helmethead.com. These took some screwing around to mount. Required a 16mm sock too, which I happened to have. I added highway pegs I stole from my GL1100. They were pretty useless on the GW, being so danged far outside of the cylinderheads. The bars came with decent instructions... unusual for the Italians.

Finally the handguards were Triumph's that BMW/Triumph of Salt Lake (2 blocks form my house) had on hand. These came with very good instructions and a ziploc parts baggy to store the stock parts in.

So, I've put about 1500 miles on the bike in spite of the never ending rain and snow. I've never gotten less than 40 mpg and got 50 mpg on an easy Saturday tour last month during a break in the weather. I'm not easy on the throttle generally so I can't complain about the mileage. It also has not consumed a single drop of oil since I picked it up 1500 miles ago. My only complaint is the hardness of the seat, which is dealt with by an Airhawk cushion for now. I may get the seat custom rebuilt later this year.

Weekend after next we're riding to Cortez, Colo which is near 4 corners, to search out some Armerind ruins and visit Mesa Verde. There is also an MO Super Secret Club road to check out while we're there. I'll know better how it runs two up with a full load after that. But it handles like a dream and the motor is to die for. I haven't had one microsecond of buyer's remorse on this bike which is a first for me because I'm such a cheapskate.

Sorry about picture quality but I used my cellphone because my wife hid the digicam somewhere.

Handguards

Guards w/pegs

Why is there a picture of the garage floor? Because I've been parking a Triumph here for 3 months now and there's not one drop of oil!! Actual proof!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Good stuff, Seru. Looks good.

IMHO, Triumph, Ducati and Kawi are putting out the best stuff in the business right now.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Good stuff, Seru. Looks good.

IMHO, Triumph, Ducati and Kawi are putting out the best stuff in the business right now.
You forget Bim Dubya.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

They have a '10 Tiger at the new Ducati/Triumph dealer in Pompano. It's grey, and I have to say, it's a damn good looking bike. It has an "industrial" style to it that is very appealing.

I think you need a bigger windshield.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
They have a '10 Tiger at the new Ducati/Triumph dealer in Pompano. It's grey, and I have to say, it's a damn good looking bike. It has an "industrial" style to it that is very appealing.

I think you need a bigger windshield.
The stock windshield goes back on when the summer temperatures hit. The stock one is just too small for those nippy 34 degree morning commutes.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Geez a dirty milk crate and a foil hat and she'll be just about finished.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The stock windshield goes back on when the summer temperatures hit. The stock one is just too small for those nippy 34 degree morning commutes.
Gotta love those handguards too for that chilly weather. What a revelation the ones that came on the DL were. If my next bike doesn't come with them (or something that does the same job) I will be adding them.

34 degrees in late May? WTF, are you inside the Artic Circle?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Gotta love those handguards too for that chilly weather. What a revelation the ones that came on the DL were. If my next bike doesn't come with them (or something that does the same job) I will be adding them.

34 degrees in late May? WTF, are you inside the Artic Circle?
Only this week have morning temperatures moved consistently into the 40s. Every year we've worn mesh gear on our trips to so Utah/No Ariz. Not this year. It's forecast to be highs in the 60s in So Colorado next week.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Geez a dirty milk crate and a foil hat and she'll be just about finished.
A dirty milk crate would hold more than Triumph's weird trunk.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Seru,

The only negative comments I've heard about the Tiger are about the spring rates, front and back.

Those comments seem to apply to every bike Triumph makes. Apparently the suspension guy at Triumph goes 145 lbs, soaking wet.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote