Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Tecinc
Registered Member

Default Fuel level sending unit

hi everyone, just finished getting my road star together I have one question, took all gauges and switches off of bike like it clean, I,m trying to hook up an LED light to replace cluster and light in cluster for low fuel, but am having no luck, any ideas can,t seem to find any voltage from leads to the unit or coming from unit. any help will be great appreciated. Thanks
Tecinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

You've not inadvertently shorted the 12v source to ground, have you? If so, check the fuses.

Are you ballasting each of the LEDs with the appropriate resistor? I did this same thing to the instrument and indicator lights on some of my bikes - the teeny-tiny bulbs Honda uses are essentially "proprietary" and were F-Bomb'n $8 apiece!

I must say, it worked-out better by far than I imagined it would.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Tecinc
Registered Member

airhawk not sure if i did or not will check in a few minutes for the short, but how do you determine what resistor, your the first and only oine that has an idea await your reply. if you could tell me how to do this it would be a great help thanks again bro
Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Tecinc
Registered Member

AIRHAWK just checked and no fuses blown, test all leads from harness and have nothing on any of them no voltage from main harness and nothing on small harness that attaches to tank connector witch connects float in tank have every wire labeled for whats , what. speed senors, engine light neutral light and fuel level i.m for a loss any help again would be great appricated
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Here's a list of websites I usually refer-to when I'm piddlin' with LEDs.

How to wire an LED, Tutorial and Calculator

LED calculator for single LEDs

LED series parallel array wizard

Light Emitting Diodes (LED)

Wiring LED's to Work on 12 Volts

And everybody's favourite site for Facts and Data: Light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When replacing a micro-size bulb with an LED, I try to find an LED that's about the same size and shape - Radio Shack (Radio Shack - You've got Questions - We'll try to sell you a maintenance plan for those alkaline batteries....) actually has a pretty-good selection, if not necessarily the best prices (or quantities - usually one or two per peg, better be prepared to deal with the salesmook........). I've hear Fry's is a really good electronics-supply place - but I don't have them in my area. If you know specifically what you're looking for, and need small-to-medium quantities of them, Digi-Key is The Shizznit for online.

MOST of the moto dash/indicator-bulbs I've run across are wedge-base, which really makes it easy to solder-in a typical bottom-lead 3mm LED. You just have to be careful not to bridge the leads with solder - hack-&-slash 'lectrickery jobs are not for the foolish, nor faint of heart. The good thing about this method is, you just plug the socket back in place behind the tach/speedo/indicator guts, and forget it from then on.

IIRC, I usally end up with a 400 to 650-ohm resistor, 1/4 or 1/2 watt, depending on application. It seems to be best-practice to wire the resistor on the positive (+ or anode) leg of the LED - for bulb replacement I usally splice and solder-into the wire-lead just ahead of the bulb socket, and shrink-tube the resistor and solder-connections securely.

Now, so far as why you don't have power to where you want it...........

Do you have a Manual? That RE-he-HEEEALLY helps diagnosing things like this. 'Specially the factory-typee manuals. You need one, even if they cost the ridiculous fee some Dealers charge.

I'll tell you right now - I likely won't be able to help you out via the 'Net with finding your source of electron-blockage. I'm not familiar with that particular bike, and can't really "see" anything. My advice is to cultivate friendship with one or more local Moto DIY-Types. Even Dealer "Techs" make good friends, and will sometimes work harder to "fix" something on a friends bike than they might a Customer's.

The guys on here are pretty damn smart - if you can actually help yourself, they might-could lead you where you need to be.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote