Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
adonets
Registered Member

Exclamation Tires and Tubes

Is there any way to make a tubed tire into a tubeless tire?

If so, how would I go about setting up the stem?

Last edited by adonets : 05-03-2010 at 12:57 AM.
adonets is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

To solve the "stem setup", you would just use a tubeless-tire stem. BUT, if its on say a spoked rim - you'll find it an Exercise in Futility tryin' to keep air in it.

Also - tubed and tubeless tires are constructed differently - the tube-type might not have enough rim-bead tension to maintain its grip on the wheel, and could be "de-seated" while in motion - possibly (PROBABLY!) quite catastrophic in consequence.

How much is a tube, and how much harder is it to install, anyway?

(BTW, that's sartorical - I know the answer to that question already)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

No. There is no way. It would be extremely dangerous. Put the idea out of your mind.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Why do you not want to run the tube?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
thunderhousecycles
Registered Member

The beads seal differently, If you are currently using a spoke rim, that requires a tube, and trying to change to a tubless that is a hazard waiting to happen. I don't of any shop that would even install a tire like that. KEEP THE WHEEL AND TIRE THE WAY THEY WERE MADE.
thunderhousecycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Actually, there is a product that more than a few people are using, but it is meant for dirt bikes. It will not work on wider street rims.

www.tubliss.com
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
adonets
Registered Member

Why do I want to run a tubeless tire? Well, I was a dumbass and made scratches on my rim when removing the tire (of course, using unconventional tools to do so).

SO, there was a tiny little hole in my tube, and so I took it out and patched it; everything was well. I think that when I put it back in, however, I either scratched It on the slightly paint-chipped rim or there was debris in the tire itself, because ****, there formed ~3 new holes. How the **** did I get myself into so much ****? **** I should have bought those tire removing tools. I blew out all debris and made sure there was nothing sharp on the edge of the rim. Patched the ***** up. Put it back in. Fit the tire for the second time. Pumped some air into it. ****. Again. **** my life. Ran out of patches. See what I'm afraid of? I may get a new tube and **** it up again. ****.

Should I use a buffer or something to polish the edge of the rim? I don't care about it lookin like ****, it's
not an expensive rim.

SO! My fear isn't not being able to find a tube for my unconvntional tire, I'm sure I can figure that out, but the problem is a new tube getting punctured.

Last edited by adonets : 05-03-2010 at 10:39 AM.
adonets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonets View Post
Why do I want to run a tubeless tire? Well, I was a dumbass and made scratches on my rim when removing the tire (of course, using unconventional tools to do so).

SO, there was a tiny little hole in my tube, and so I took it out and patched it; everything was well. I think that when I put it back in, however, I either scratched It on the slightly paint-chipped rim or there was debris in the tire itself, because ****, there formed ~3 new holes. How the **** did I get myself into so much ****? **** I should have bought those tire removing tools. I blew out all debris and made sure there was nothing sharp on the edge of the rim. Patched the ***** up. Put it back in. Fit the tire for the second time. Pumped some air into it. ****. Again. **** my life. Ran out of patches. See what I'm afraid of? I may get a new tube and **** it up again. ****.

Should I use a buffer or something to polish the edge of the rim? I don't care about it lookin like ****, it's
not an expensive rim.

SO! My fear isn't not being able to find a tube for my unconvntional tire, I'm sure I can figure that out, but the problem is.
Use a light sandpaper ,like 120 grit, and clean up all the burrs. Try again with a new tube. Also make sure there are no sharp points inside the tire. Sand any of those you find.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Might be just the tube is a bit too old - I've had them do exactly that - changed the tube to a new one - Presto! Fix't!

While you're at the shop getting your new tube, buy a pair of Motion Pro tire bars - not only will it help prevent damage to your new tube, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to put the tire back on with them. Seriously. Get the short ones (like 8" or so long), easier to work with. You'll thank me later if you do.

Don't forget the rim-strip, or a good thick layer of 'lectrickery tape!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You know what, I had a problem with an early K291 Dunlop, I was running the tire below the specified air pressure to gain a little cushion on a rigid frame bike. The tire was flexing more than it should have and developed splits along the tread blocks. As the tire flexed it would bite little bits out of the inner tube until it leaked. I'd look for a nail hole in the tire and find nothing, patch up the tube and away I'd go for another week or two then the same drill. I could see the bites out of the tube and assumed I nicked it with my tire irons.

That one had me pulling my hair out until I just happened to see a split in the tire and flexed it open. A new tire and tube @ 40 psi solved the problem for good.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote