Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
82GSX
Registered Member

Default Help rewiring reg/rec

I am trying to replace the fried reg/rec in my 82 gsx 250 with one off an atv but the original had wh/blue yellow and wh/red and the new one has just four white wires, does it matter which ones connect to which?
82GSX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Nah, just stick 'em all in that one connection with the big screw in it. If you hear a sizzling noise when you turn on the igniiotn, ignore it and ride fast and far. Have your cell phone with you just in case.

JEEZUS! EVER HEAR OF A MANUAL? Godamn whippersnappers....
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, cuddy - in his defense, what he's attempting isn't exactly "manualized".

The wires matter - the W/Red is probably battery positive, the W/Blue probably negative, and the Yellow is AC from the stator-field (I'm assuming it's a single-phase alternator; most every later model bike is typically 3-phase and has 3 yellow wires from the fields).

It doesn't sound as if you're going to make that reg/rec work without knowing exactly what each wire does (and even if you do, possibly won't be able to make it work anyway) - does it still have the connector on it, and if so - any way to find a manual or connection-diagram of the ATV you've taken it from?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-27-2010 at 08:00 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
82GSX
Registered Member

Default Thanks

yip no instruction in manual, there are also red and black wires (5 wires total) I figured these would be negative/positive. I know what a reg/rec duz but I wouldn't have aclue how it duz it. I will try and do somemore research myself but if anyone knows that would be very helpful
82GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Can you even fix a broken diode? How about looking for a used one from a reputable company that repairs them. You can usually send them yours and only have to pay a core charge. Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

It works like this:
Attached Images
File Type: gif bridge.gif (14.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
thunderhousecycles
Registered Member

Use a test light or oem meter to test the wires for which wire connects where.
thunderhousecycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Yes it matters. Hooking it up wrong can burn your alternator. Get the right one. Try junkyards.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82GSX View Post
yip no instruction in manual, there are also red and black wires (5 wires total) I figured these would be negative/positive. I know what a reg/rec duz but I wouldn't have aclue how it duz it. I will try and do somemore research myself but if anyone knows that would be very helpful
Then it's a three-phase system. Red and Black are the pos/neg, and the other three are alternator field-wires (AC Voltage, with each being the "ground" for another). Use any other 5-wire reg/rec, wire one-each of the yellow-wires to the Yellow, W/Red and W/Blue, and throw that 4-wire reg/rec away. Be certain to bolt the new regulator securely to the frame, with a rust and paint-free connection - both for a good case-ground, and as a heat-sink.

Why didn't you detail the other two wires earlier?

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-28-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
It works like this:
More like this:

They use a half-bridge rectum-frier, rather than the full-bridge you've shown. Even cars are wired this way. The "Load" is the battery, in the case of a motor-vehicle.

Both get the job done, but you're more-likely to see a single-phase full-bridge on electronics such as your computer's power-supply.

For those not in the know (not you Pete!) - the main difference between the car and the bike, is the bike uses a permanent magnet rotor (the flywheel), and any excess current is bled to ground through a resistor-pack (the reason the moto reg/rec has fins and gets hot). The car has an electromagnet as the rotor, and has circuitry that actively monitors the output of the fields, and increases or decreases the strength of the rotor magnet to regulate the alternator's output.

This is why it's a BAD thing to jump-start a bike from a running automobile: if the auto's system wants 14.6v, and the bike only wants 14.4 before it bleeds to ground, the higher-capacity of the auto's system will completely cook into charcoal the bike's reg/rec in no time flat. Just the typical 12.5-12.8 volts of the car battery will do no harm by itself.

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-28-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Found better rectum-frier diagram, added an explanation