Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
DucatiRob
Registered Member

Default Cold rear cylinder

Hay everyone,New to the site and to my 750m Ducati my rear cylinder just got cold on me the bike was running just fine and bam cold cylinder dont know were to turn. I live way out west the close'st dealer is 150 miles away can anyone help...Thanks Rob
DucatiRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Either the plug(s) or coil went dead for that cylinder, or you've got a carb problem.

I vote "Carb".

Exactly what it is, I cannot say from this distance. Hard to see from here.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
DucatiRob
Registered Member

Thanks someone side that last night do you think its just dirt in the carb we do have crap gas in cal...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

If it were gas it'd be both cylinders, don't you think? Unless Duc has managed to split the tank and feed the cylinders independently.

The plugs are easy to get to on that bike, aren't they? Pull the wire off the rear spark plug. Hold the end with insulated pliers, and locate the open end near the engine metal. Crank the bike. You should see a fat blue spark. If you do, pull the sparkplug and check it the same way; plug it into the wire, hold it on the metal, crank the engine. Again, fat blue spark. You'll know if it's the plug or the coil when you're done.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If it were gas it'd be both cylinders, don't you think? Unless Duc has managed to split the tank and feed the cylinders independently.

The plugs are easy to get to on that bike, aren't they? Pull the wire off the rear spark plug. Hold the end with insulated pliers, and locate the open end near the engine metal. Crank the bike. You should see a fat blue spark. If you do, pull the sparkplug and check it the same way; plug it into the wire, hold it on the metal, crank the engine. Again, fat blue spark. You'll know if it's the plug or the coil when you're done.
It won't necessarily crud-up both carbs "evenly". But, as you pointed-out; it's quite easy to check for spark first.

Use caution, Rob. That shyte hurts when it bites. Any holes in the insulation of the pliers can let a bit of the spark through. What I usually do is pull the plug, snap the wire back on it, then ground that against the engine. Don't forget a dab of antisieze on the threads when you put any sparkplugs back in the head, and don't over-torque them, lest ye pull the aluminium threads out.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Don't forget a dab of antisieze on the threads when you put any sparkplugs back in the head, and don't over-torque them, lest ye pull the aluminium threads out."

On my Ironhead and Knuck I just tighten the spark plugs until I hear them groan! Antisieze? Torque? Surely you jest!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

my rear cylinder just got cold on me

I've heard that more times than I can admit from my wife.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
DucatiRob
Registered Member

OK Checked continuity on both coils and am good so I swoped them and still no spark to the rear?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Switched coils and the rear doesn't spark? Could be a pickup coil or the CDI unit or any of the wiring between. Start with the pickup coil. I've had those go out suddenly before.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
DucatiRob
Registered Member

OK where and what does that look like