Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 04-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
hoff02
Registered Member

Cool Cooling Advice - 1984 Honda Magna VF700

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and looking for some general advice. I have been riding bikes for the last 6 or 7 years, but have recently decided to try and take on much more of the maintenance role instead of paying dealerships, and I know forums are invaluable for this.

With that aside, here's my problem: I recently pulled our '84 Magna out of storage. I had been trickle charging the battery, so I pulled it, topped it off with distilled water and put it back on the bike. I did the seasonal oil change and my coolant seemed just a hair low, but good enough for service (I was planning on topping it off within the next day or two). So I take the bike to work the next morning, and I get about a 1/2 mile down the road and all the lights go nuts on me and the bike dies. We recently had the seat redone and I instantly think I must've bent a contact on the ground or caused a short, so I pull the seat and use a streetlight to look around. I didn't see much, so I checked my connections and all seemed well. So put the seat on, bike fires up, and I'm on my way to work 30 miles with trouble. So leaving work, I start the bike up, she fires just fine at half choke and I'm letting her run while I helmet up and all of the sudden the lights go nuts and I immediately switch it off....dead bike. After pulling the seat and checking my connections I find that the connect to the main fuse is slightly damaged/melted but it looks old...it has corrosion on the damage, and the main fuse is blown. I replace the fuse, and after cleaning up the contact points, the bike fires right up and all the voltage readins are checking out as far as I can tell. So 4 days later I take the bike to work again, she's been running fine for short jaunts and I figure the problem must have been temporary...perhaps a freak occurance...the fuse was 20 years old. So the trip to work is fine, but on the way home I get stuck in traffic and the engine starts heating up and I'm not hearing the fan kick on. I watch the temp gauge and watching for it to hit red, knowing I'll have to shut her done at that point. Traffics moving stop and start so I kill the bike when I can. Well, the gauge is still just under the red and I smell coolant, sure enough my overflow is releasing coolant on the street. I shut down for a second, but now I'm nowhere I can sit safely. So I start up and look for traffic, end up driving the wrong way up the highway to get to a pullover (300 or 400 yards), as I pull in bike stalls, but temp gauge never actually hit the red. So I let the bike cooldown and start checking the fan and fan fuse. Sure enough she's blown. As I start thinking about it, I don't think I'd heard the fan kick on since I'd blown the main fuse. I replace the fuse, wait 10 minutes, start her up, and she's fine. I get home, kill the engine and let the fan run. I then top her off with coolant to replace some of what she's bled out. My questions:

What would blow the main and fan fuse? Old fuse arcing? Trickle charging on the bike? I followed the charger instructions to the T. The bike seems fine now, but I'm skittish. I love the old girl and I hate that anythings wrong with her, but I hate being stranded too. What should I look for? She was pressure tested 2 or 3 years ago and passed with flying colors. What advice do you have?
hoff02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"What would blow the main and fan fuse?"

Only two things can pop a fuse: overload or a short circuit. I'm thinking there is a short circuit in there somewhere.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

The fuse might just succumb to vibration after almost 30 years. A relay could be flaky. Or maybe gremlins. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

I'd worry more about that tranny.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Regulator/ rectifier problems are common on V4 Honda's, they were a constant issue with both my '84 Sabre and my '97 VFR. The way I got around it was to eliminate the melted connector between the reg/rec and install marine circuit breakers of the same amperage as the fuses, there's three wires as I recall so I wired a breaker into each leg. The theory was that if one started to overheat it would just cycle the breaker instead of blowing a fuse or melting.

It worked fine for the couple of years I had the Sabre, with the VFR I just replaced the connector and sold the bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Regulator/ rectifier problems are common on V4 Honda's, they were a constant issue with both my '84 Sabre and my '97 VFR.
Hell, they were a common problem on about 85% of ALL Hondas from the late '80s through the early '00s........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The real problem is that Liquid Hot Magna will always be hot...until it meets the sea.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
hoff02
Registered Member

Alright, so for now, I'll let her run and just keep an eye on her, but if the problem reoccurrs I'll have to look at the r/r and/or look at going to marine breakers. Thanks for the tips guys!
hoff02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
gearheadred
Registered Member

look into downloading a repair manual from
Repair Manual Downloads

honda
Repair Manual Downloads :: Honda ::
gearheadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Hoff02,

I'd recommend you go after every fuse with some emery cloth, if you decide to keep the old ones.

After you polish up the fuse blades, put a bit of silicone grease on them (just a shine, not a lot) and reinstall.

Keep at least one of every size on the bike as spares.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
cherrycherry
Banned

I like the article, but that from the article I know maybe we can be good friends. gucci-bags.org
cherrycherry is offline   Reply With Quote