Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
adonets
Registered Member

Exclamation Engine started to make loud ticking noise

As described in the title, my 4-stroke 88cc engine starts to make a very loud ticking/ clicking noise at, say 2000+ RPM's. It does not do that when in idle.

The ticking/ clicking noise sounds like it is coming from where the cylinder is, so it's not a loose exhaust or something minor like that (as I have read from previous similar problems people had).

My concern: the bike is 1560km (less than 1000 miles on odometer). It's difficult for me to believe that it would have problems so soon.

The ticking/ clicking noise started out of nowhere, just as I was going up a hill it began ticking slowly, one tick per 5 seconds or so, then quicker and quicker, and now ticks as many times as there are combustions in the engine (or so it seems; I am just speculating).

I will be honest, I have been pushing the bike to its limit since I got it. In the city it's more than sufficient to get around, which is what I got it for. Obviously this could be the problem, that is me pushing it to its limits definitely shortens its life, but is it really so easily possible after about 60km (45 miles or so) of use? I am skeptical.

I have read tens of forum posts about similar issues and they all point to one part or another, so nothing in specific. Basically, I am ****ed and have to get a new engine. However, I will take it to a mechanic to look at it and tell me what is wrong with it. Although nobody in my area specializes in my bike's brand (Sachs), I am sure a mechanic can point out some possible issues just by inspecting/ listening to the ticks.

What do you guys think? I have literally never been this frustrated in my life. I feel broken inside.
adonets is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

You may just have a loose valve tappet. You need to get a manual and do a maintenance check.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You did the obvious stuff like checking the oil level, coolant, inspected for loose parts, etc., right?

It's a new bike, why not take it to the dealer and have a mechanic look at it? It must have a warranty.

Try a Google search with the manufacturer and model name. Dig into the hits that come up, and look for other owner's posts who may have experienced the same thing.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
BrentC
Registered Member

I know nothing of the Sach brand bike but here goes nothing. One simple thing would be to make sure the cam chain tensioner (cct) is in proper adjustment. Some (cct)'s are automatic adjustments and those just need to be replaced. I hope this might help?!?!
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
adonets
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You did the obvious stuff like checking the oil level, coolant, inspected for loose parts, etc., right?

It's a new bike, why not take it to the dealer and have a mechanic look at it? It must have a warranty.

Try a Google search with the manufacturer and model name. Dig into the hits that come up, and look for other owner's posts who may have experienced the same thing.

Indeed I have checked for obvious things such as oil level and loose parts. I spent hours inspecting things trying to tighten bolts, etc.

As stated in the OP, sadly this bike does not have dealers around me for at least 2000 mile radius. It was imported from Germany to Japan in 2006 and then into Canada in 2008 or so. I am hoping to get a hand from a general motorcycle mechanic, though, as I am almost sure they are familiar with the ins and outs of this Honda-like engine.

I have done quite a bit of research on the problem and it seems like it is something with the valves.

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What happened to our Resident Sachs Madass Dealer?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Since your "MADASS" has an engine that is a carbon copy of a Honda 90, check those valves, a 10mm open and, a feeler gauge and a screwdriver should fix it just fine. Set the intake a seven thousands, with the exhaust at 8. Thie tickeing should go away, and since I've given you valve clearance specs that are on the "loose" side for a Honda 90 (OHC motor), it should have some balls now, since it's holding the exhaust charge in on the exhaust stroke for a new more nonoseconds.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Am I the only one who finds it weird there is no history given about this vehicle. Did I miss that? What's the mile's, are you the original owner?

Loose valves tick most times and will emit some type of sound. Weither or not your sound is normal or not I dont know. Have you taken a compression reading yet? That will truly let you know if you have a real problem. Stop assuming you have a problem just because it gives of a certain noise. Diagnosing by noise unless its painfully obvious is a waste of time. When's the last time it had a valve adjustment, oil change, things like that are important when figuring out whats really wrong instead of just fishing on line. Good luck though.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
adonets
Registered Member

Quote:
Since your "MADASS" has an engine that is a carbon copy of a Honda 90, check those valves, a 10mm open and, a feeler gauge and a screwdriver should fix it just fine. Set the intake a seven thousands, with the exhaust at 8. Thie tickeing should go away, and since I've given you valve clearance specs that are on the "loose" side for a Honda 90 (OHC motor), it should have some balls now, since it's holding the exhaust charge in on the exhaust stroke for a new more nonoseconds.
Hi, thank you for your input.

I have opened the valve covers and inspected the two valves of my engine. How would I go about to fixing it with a screwdriver? Also, attached is the sound file of the sound that it makes.

Thank you for your suggestions! By far the closest opinion to my problem. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Attached is the recorded sound file of what it sounds like.

zSHARE - Memo.mp3
(stream-able)
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Oh jezz a sound bite? Your going to need more than just a screwdriver, get a manual!