Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Well, we DO Keep what we Kill...........
This is indeed a Day of Days....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
BrentC
Registered Member

Default Shinko

Thank you everyone!!!
I think that I will buy a new tire and perhaps plug the current tire until the new one arrives so that I don't go insane due to hearing all the other motorcycles out. The nail went in clean and there was no tear. The point of entry was about 3/4" to an inch from centerline.

Due to having to buy a new tire so soon I am ordering the Shinko Raven for $92.oo to my front door. I will tell you how it goes. Has anyone here ran that tire?
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
BrentC
Registered Member

I changed my mind; I am ordering the Shinko Advance because of the slightly softer compound.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
A Star Ride
Registered Member

$92.00?? I wish I could get a tire for that. I got my Tour Deluxe in August needing a rear, did a front last month & replaced the rear again yesterday. Collectively 3 tires have cost me $450.00 in half a year. I think I'm moving to a harder compound next time though. But I'm figuring I'll have to replace the rear again before the front should need it again.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Question:

There's no reason not to put a tube in a tire that got a screw, right? My front picked up a screw yesterday and it's way to new to replace yet. I have the correct size tube for the wheel, so I'm going to ask my pal at Cycle Gear to put it in. I guess I could patch it from the inside instead, but since I have this brand new tube, I'm thinking I'll use it.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #26
BrentC
Registered Member

Hey Star Ride,

I just looked at a site called bikebadit.com and they have the Shinko brand motorcycle tires for touring bikes as well for less than $100. I don't know what sizes you need or your preferences. I have heard decent things about this brand from those who have ridden them so check them out.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #27
BrentC
Registered Member

Kenneth Moore,

Your puncture is probably very small, and this might be a mute point, but as the tube expands with air it needs to push against the tire and rim so it doesn't expand like a ballon and blow-up. If there is a small hole in the tire then the tube will try to take the shape of that as well and potentially prematurely rupture as well. Therefore, you may need to still put a patch the inside. On the other hand, the puncture may be so small that it does not matter. In any case, your buddy should know the difference.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #28
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
Hey Star Ride,

I just looked at a site called bikebadit.com and they have the Shinko brand motorcycle tires for touring bikes as well for less than $100. I don't know what sizes you need or your preferences. I have heard decent things about this brand from those who have ridden them so check them out.
Thanks Brent, my shop I usually use charges $40 for outside parts. I've considered buying online like that but then I'd need to drop the parts in advance of getting the work done, or remove a saddlebag lid & strap it down, lol I'd be having to make 2 trips and only save about $10.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #29
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
Kenneth Moore,

Your puncture is probably very small, and this might be a mute point, but as the tube expands with air it needs to push against the tire and rim so it doesn't expand like a ballon and blow-up. If there is a small hole in the tire then the tube will try to take the shape of that as well and potentially prematurely rupture as well. Therefore, you may need to still put a patch the inside. On the other hand, the puncture may be so small that it does not matter. In any case, your buddy should know the difference.
I've done that with a loosely bonded "flat" path rather then a plug.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #30
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I've done that with a loosely bonded "flat" path rather then a plug.
The tube is in, despite misgivings on the part of my pal at Cycle Gear. He said running tube in tubeless rims isn't recommended. But it seemed to mount fine and balance. Can't tell any difference riding.