Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Launch-pad
Registered Member

Default Ignition Problems

I have a 2003 honda xr650l and I am having troubles getting it to start. There is plenty of battery power and it turns over strong, but when I check the spark, I can't get one. Took the carb apart and cleaned it, cleaned the plug, tried a new plug, then got it to run for about 45 sec. and now no spark again. I maybe should or shouldn't have done this, but I pulled the boot off the spark plug wire and checked the spark that way and still no spark. If you have any information that would help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Bad connection, coil, CDI unit or pickup.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Launch-pad
Registered Member

Thank you, I'll check those out.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Launch-pad
Registered Member

We checked the ignition pulse generator, it showed 457 ohms. There wasn't any continuity in the wires when grounded. When it was turned over, we got .1 volts of ac each revolution does this sound normal. My meter read .1 and I'm not sure if this is correct or not, I can't read it very well. I checked the coil and it read within limits. Assuming I'm doing it right. I think I'm going to try a new CDI. Does that sound like a good idea.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Sounds like that is the logical, if expensive next step.

I seem to recall that XR's had heat related failures of components in the lower end. YMMV.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Launch-pad
Registered Member

What about the pulse generator? Could there be a problem there? I am not sure to try that or the CDI. All help would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch-pad View Post
We checked the ignition pulse generator, it showed 457 ohms. There wasn't any continuity in the wires when grounded. When it was turned over, we got .1 volts of ac each revolution does this sound normal. My meter read .1 and I'm not sure if this is correct or not, I can't read it very well. I checked the coil and it read within limits. Assuming I'm doing it right. I think I'm going to try a new CDI. Does that sound like a good idea.
Handheld meters are terrible for reading pulses. That's why they make oscilloscopes. You need a manual to tell you the correct value. But usually pickups are only a few ohms. 457 sounds extremely high.

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-25-2010 at 05:19 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote