Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-01-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Bandit Oil Blues

Damn!! The locals Suzuki dealer has a leftover blue 2002 Bandit that will probably have a nice price come time for Suzuki Fest. With this new information about the oil burning problem, I don't know if I should get the bike. The guy also has a 2001 ZRX1200 brand new for $6999, but the bike does nothing for me. It has a nice engine, but not much else. Also, I'm not a big fan of Kawasaki's record of reliability. Does anyone know any facts about the problem with the Bandits? There is a ton of info on the above link from owners who have experienced this problem, but it seems that the problem is hit and miss. And who the hell would think that it's reasonable to have your new bike rebuilt? Anyone with info about this bike's, or other large standard's (919, FZ1, ZRX) problems please help out.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
JLittler
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit Oil Blues

The 01 ZRX12 is a better bike than than the 01/02 Bandit IMNSHO...and I own a Bandit ! Stiffer frame, better handling (better stock suspension) and a little bit stronger motor.

JL

96 Bandit12S

89 KR1-250
JLittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 09:41 PM   #3
mn0024
Registered Member

I used to have a 2000 Bandit S and I can tell you that the best ride I ever took it on was the one to the dealer to trade it in on my 2001 R1. When I bought the Bandit I traded in my 1998 ZX-9R thinking that it would be nice to have a comfortable standard that could still go out for the occasional ride in the mountains. To put it bluntly the Bandit was a turd. A vibrating turd at that. My hands and feet would be numb after about 30 minutes aboard the Suzuki from the buzzy bars and pegs. If I were to ever consider a standard again I believe that I would take a long hard look at a 900 Monster. I have a good friend who has one with clip-ons in place of the bars and it is big fun to ride. It actually turns in quicker than my R1, has awesome looks and sounds, and buckets more low end torque than any of the inline four standards.
mn0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
dwr461
Founding Member

I believe that it would be impossible for this to leak oil and Suzuki not to acknowledge the problem. KPaul has assured us that all Japanese products are better and more inovative. I bet that this is a new design to prevent the consumer from ever having to change the oil. Just add it as you ride. What won't they think of next.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:13 AM   #5
95XV1100
Founding Member

I agree! I own neither. I ride a V-max. From all the info I have been able to get(online info and talking w/others) the ZRX12 is the bargain in this category, but if you prefer the Bandit's styling go w/the FZ1. I belive either machine would be a blast to ride.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 03:09 AM   #6
Grover
Founding Member

Sounds a lot like the 4-valve Ducatis' flaking rocker problem. Sucks, doesn't it?
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:03 AM   #7
Tim_White
Founding Member

My father has a '01 1200 Bandit. Aside from smoking like a 2-stroke when he rode it away from the dealer the first time he has had no oil consumption problems.
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:05 AM   #8
Cherii
Founding Member

I have a 2002 Bandit 1200S that doesn't burn any oil at all. If you read up on it, the general opinion is that the new, larger oil holes in the pistons (compared to the older generation bikes) are causing some bikes to burn oil. I love my Bandit - I commute on it, joyride on it, have even taken a three state tour on it. Best bike I've ever owned in stock form...
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 04:50 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

This is a bit surprising to me. I own a '91 GSX1100G shaftie. The motor is almost the same as the Bandit's. My motor is extremely smooth. I go 4K between oil changes (Mobil1) without adding a drop. I never leaks a drop either. I've got nearly 50K on it without a single burp.

So how did they wreck an already functional design? Is this another example of Japanese "innovation"?

Suzuki's unwillingness to admit problems is nothing new. They never recalled the old alternator problem from the old GS series either. It was easily fixed with an aftermarket regulator, made by the Brits (believe it or not). Suzuki would only replace the burnedout parts while the bike was still under warranty, then so-long-sucker.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:33 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

From what I've gathered, it's a hit and miss problem, that shows itself from day one, IE if it's going to smoke it'll do it from the start. There was also a few suggestion,s on max-suzuki, and bandit alley that owners may have been inadvertantly overfilling by going by the sight glass instead of measuring oil on oil changes, it takes exactly 3.7 qt.'s, And it takes a while for the level to settle out, Suzuki should stand behind their product on this, so there's no excuse there, but they're not alone in failure to acknowledge a defect, My '01 1200 w/ 22kmi.'s doesn't smoke or use oil. The 2001 + bikes are much improved over the earlier versions, and as an all around bike I'd say it was better handling and better wind protection than a ZRX, and more comfortable than an FZ1, but I guess they're both faster, ultimately I'm happy with my bandit, 'course there's a few other bike's I'd like to own too. Besides it's only the silver ones that have problems.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote