Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 12-02-2002, 08:28 AM   #11
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit Oil Blues

And don't forget about this one:

"well, see, the Hayabusa is SOOO powerful that the rear wheel is rotating sooo quickly that it generates its own gravity well, see, and that causes the subframe to collapse down into it....what, we should have engineered around that?!...listen, Mate, we've a motor driving a small black hole back there, what do expect, if you riders would lose weight, it might not go down like that, and anyway, we did engineer around it; we restricted the bike in compliance with the 300kph "gentlemen's agreement, so less powah, so no space-time singularity rear tire, so no gravitational force to "collapse" the subframe. We see no cause whatever for recalling the 'busa. Easy, see?"

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2002, 08:41 AM   #12
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

And another thing.

This will all blow over. the moto press will view it as just another isolated incident, and continue to propound that hogwash about Jap bikes being innately created by God with ULTRA-MEGA-INDESTRUCTO RELIABILITY. I have come to belive that the "Jap bikes are much more reliable." line is so much snake oil. Over the past week or so I've read about 'Wings and Interceptors with 20 years of bad electrics, Bandits leaking oil, 'busa subframes folding mysteriously, K-bikes that overheat because the computer isn't having both radiator fans come on. Odd, isnt all this precisely why the Jap brands displaced Brit bikes in the marketplace?

And yet, it will blow over. No one will put two and two together to figure out that Jap bikes are not always the best ride for Ultraman and Mothra.

But God help us if Buell issues a recall over a shock that never (so far as I know) failed anywhere but in a lab. Why, those things are deathtraps. They ought not be allowed to produce. The arrogant irresponsibility of it all. American goods are shyte, as we've always suspected...just goes to show you.

Along with Ike, I say, "Nuts."
Old 12-02-2002, 09:22 AM   #13
dwr461
Founding Member

...and the winner for funniest post I've read in a while goes to the_aerodynamic_head for his blackhole 'busa post. Please repost to your local Suzuki dealership to claim your prize. Walk right up to the Service Manage and say, "KPaul has a long moustace, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more." He'll know what to give you.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:27 AM   #14
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default I had a '98 Bandit and ....

it was one of the best bikes i've ever had. never burned a bit of oil, was comfortable, fast, and reliable.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:16 PM   #15
jmcintire
Founding Member

Default break-in

I know two guys who have bandits (2001 and 2002 models respectively). Contestant number one followed the break-in procedure to the number, and his bandit doesn't burn a bit of oil. Contestant number two largely ignored the break-in schedule, enjoying wheelies and hands full of throttle from the start. He burns just over half a quart every 600 miles. A local mecahnic says his compression is lower than it should be.

Perhaps proper breakin has something to with it the problem since, in this case at least, the 2002's rings apparently didn't seat well.
jmcintire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:46 PM   #16
david_l_sumner
Founding Member

Default Re: break-in

It is overly large oil holes. Have a buddy who got his 2001 replaced by Suzuki with an 02 and it smoked too until they put 2000 pistons in it. He said you can see the difference when you hold the two pistons side by side. They are reportedly back the smaller holed pistons now.
david_l_sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:29 PM   #17
TheFox
Founding Member

Don't forget the flap over the new ST1300/Pan European and the engine mounting bolt tolerances. Seems some are getting high speed weaves like the old Z1 because the engine bolt torque values are out of spec from the factory. Full recall is out, I heard.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:20 AM   #18
rhobson
Founding Member

Yes, Dave, I think you have it right, just take a look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/jsven00701/Index.htm
rhobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:03 AM   #19
ASC
Founding Member

I own a 2001 Bandit and fell in love with it from day one. Unfortunately, it smoked and consumed oil like crazy. Suzuki tells me that 1 qt within 1000 miles is acceptable. (In my written maintenance log, it shows my Bandit consuming a quart every 150 to 600 miles) However, after much haggling (sp?) and complaining my dealer was able to convince Suzuki to finally honor the warranty just due to the excessive smoking. They changed out the pistons just this last summer.

I am very unhappy with Suzuki's customer service. The overall message I got from them was that I made the problem up, and that I was overreacting to a normal circumstance. They took the defensive every time and acknowledged NO problem what so ever. Even when they swapped the pistons out, which Suzuki said was unnecessary, but will be done anyhow to show their good-will. I have spoken to many others who are suffering with this same problem and same attitude from Suzuki. Customer service ranks high with me, and I will not purchase another Suzuki product until I believe that they fully back their customers with the service and support we were promised, either at time of purchase, or in their advertisements.
ASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 01:04 PM   #20
M_Singer
Founding Member

I purchased my '01 Bandit 1200 in June of 2001. I followed the manufacture's break-in procedure. The bike consumed about 3/4 of a quart of oil per 1,000 miles. I argued with suxzuki for almost a year until they finally agreed to fix my bike. The problem that effects about 50% of late model Bandit 1200's cut and past this to see the results of a poll conducted at Maximum-Suzuki.com http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/in... 8485872014c75

The problem is caused by defective pistons. The fix is to hone the cylinders and replace the pistons and rings. Pictures of these defective pistons next to normal pistons can be seen at Maximum-Suzuki.com. The parts to fix my bike were back ordered and it wasn't until OVER 1 full year from the date of sale that my bike received the new pistons/rings and was SUPPOSEDLY fixed. The stealer broke a fin off of my cylinder, glued it back on and retuned the bike to me without a word about it being said. They also misrouted the fuel line, over filled the crankcase with oil and scratched the frame in several places

I noticed the broken fin a week later and confronted the service manager about it. He denied knowledge of the broken fin but advised me that he would talk to the mechanic who did the work on my bike. The service manager wouldn't let me speak to the mechanic, which was probably a smart move on his part b/c I was kinda pissed off as you might imagine. The service manager advised that the mechanic fessed up to breaking the fin and that he would order a new cylinder block.

After waiting on another back order I again drop the bike off at the shop. this time the service manager performed the work himself. October 25, 2002 (remember I purchased this bike June, 2001) I get the bike back from rebuild no. 2. I have put about 1 miles on her since the 2nd rebuild and it appears to be fixed.

Bottom line if you buy one of these Bandit 1200's you have a 50-50 chance of getting an oil burner. Suxzuki may or may not agree to fix it. The have refused to fix many of these oil burners and have made other do kabooki dances just to get their brand new bikes fixed. If they do agree to fix it prepare for them to do a very poor job. My experience with poor quality service from a stealer is the rule not the exception.

I have ridden mine from Ft Lauderdale, Florida to Reno, NV and back (burend 5 quarts of oil along the way). It was plenty comfortable. I have also rode the Dragon at Deals Gap quite a few times. I have used it to commute in city traffic. Its a great all around motorcycle. Still I would highly advise anyone considering the purchase of a bandit to consider an Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki ZREX or Z 1000 or a Honda 919. I am happy with my Bandit now but it was not worth the aggravation. I should have bough a FZ1. I will never buy another suxzuki again. Not b/c of the problwm but b/c of the poor service that i and fellow Bandit owners have received. There is areason why these bikes are cheap!